VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How can i disable xfce trash?  (Read 3209 times)

fogpipe

• Vectorite
How can i disable xfce trash?
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

This is the all time dumbest feature i have ever seen in a file/desktop manager, instead of deleting files, picking delete from a right click menu merely moves them to ~/.local/share/Trash/files

I have tried linking ~/.local/share/Trash/files to /dev/null, but then when i try to delete a file xfce complains that it isnt a directory.

i suppose i could create a cron job, but there just has to be a way to turn this off. i cant imagine that the developers are stupid enough to make this unchangeable.

fogpipe

• Vectorite
Re: How can i disable xfce trash?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:33 pm »

I dont know if anybody is watching this thread but apparently this is somewhat of a hot topic on the xfce forum and mailing list. Until the developers include the ability to delete files in thunar here is a workaround.
This is a sendto link that will appear in the thunar sendto menu. Place a file with this content

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Oblivion
Name[en_GB]=Oblivion
Icon=internet-mail
Exec=rm -rf %F
In your /usr/share/Thunar/sendto dir and save it as thunar-oblivion.desktop. I have tested it a couple of times and it works. But be careful, i assume no responsibility for either use or misuse of this info. Anything you delete with this script will be GONE FOREVER. Adjust icon setting to your liking.

I wish traffic on this board would pick up a bit. Im getting tired of solving my own problems.

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:13:42 am »

Well, shift-Del has always worked for me in Thunar/XFCE to bypass the Trash, that is pretty much the standard in most operating systems or desktop environments.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:00:06 am »

Well, shift-Del has always worked for me in Thunar/XFCE to bypass the Trash, that is pretty much the standard in most operating systems or desktop environments.

Yes same here.  Shift + delete does the trick.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

fogpipe

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:48 am »

In everyone except xfce (including windows) that i have experience with there is some sort of gui feature to turn off trash and delete things without a keyboard shortcut. I just adjusted the KDE setting to show delete in the right click menu to bypass trash.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:45 am »

I agree you should be able to change this behaivor, but looks like the Xfce will not do it. I did try to override the action for the <Delete> key with little success. Maybe using something like xbindkeys...
Looking around I saw a patch that disables the Trash thing, but it requires building for source and maintaining your own Thunar...
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!