VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 02:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] 1. read pdb files 2. can't run java program  (Read 1952 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: May 11, 2012, 09:24:13 am »

1. Hello.  Some years ago I found that the palm pilot I was using was close to full, so I backed it up, and then deleted various things off it.  Now I'm trying to read the backed up file, but I don't know how to do it.  If anyone knows how palm files (pdb), then please do share.  I tried using a spread sheet (Calc) but that was way too jumbled.  

2. In searching the Internet, I discovered a program called PdbEditor, which looked good.  However, I can't get it to run.  I have both jdk (7u3-i586-1vl70) and jre (7u3-i586-1vl70) installed, but the program is not working.  I followed the command line instructions for running the program, and got the following result:

Code:
vector:/~/slackpacks/pdbeditor
mark:$ java -jar PdbEditor-0.2.2alpha.jar
java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, does anyone know how I can fix this?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:14:53 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:15:00 am »

Which vectorlinux version is this?  I just downloaded it and tried on 7.0 STD (fresh install) and it works fine.

If nothing else, I did this
Code:
root:# find /usr -name libjli*
/usr/lib/java/lib/i386/jli/libjli.so

So, you can add /usr/lib/java/lib/i386/jli to your /etc/ld.so.conf and then run
Code:
ldconf
as root

Then try again.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:46 am »

Hi MOE-lnx,

I tried what you said, and got the following result:

Code:
vector:/~
root:# find /usr -name libjli*
/usr/lib/java/lib/i386/jli/libjli.so
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_22/lib/i386/jli/libjli.so
root:# nano /etc/ld.so.conf
root:# ldconf
bash: ldconf: command not found
root:#

So, using nano, I added the line /usr/lib/java/lib/i386/jli to my /etc/ld.so.conf file, and then tried to run the program:

Code:
java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mark:$

So, unfortunately the same result. 

Is there something I need to install to run the command "ldconf"?  I am running VL7.0, standard I believe (it comes with XFCE).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:54:18 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:59 am »

sorry ... the command is ldconfig not ldconf

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:57:11 am »

Ah.  Thanks.  Now I'm getting this result:

Code:
vector://home/mark/slackpacks/pdbeditor
root:# ldconfig
vector://home/mark/slackpacks/pdbeditor
root:# exit
exit
Error: could not find libjava.so
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.
mark:$

I have two versions of jre installed for some reason.  So, I'll try to remove the older one and reinstall the newer.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:05:25 am »

I removed jre 6u29-i586-1vl70 and reinstalled 7u3-i586-1vl70.  However, it's still giving me the same error.  So, I'll try a reboot, and then see.

[later...]

Well, it still isn't working.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:27:33 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 11:40:00 am »

I used to have a java docreader for palm docs, but I can't find it anymore. You might want to try "fbreader", which is supposed to open pdb files, or "calibre" which I have used to convert from several formats to pdb, but probably goes the other way too. Both of these should be in the VL repo, IIRC.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »

Thanks for the ebook reader suggestions.  They're both good programs, but didn't work with my files.  I suspect that nothing will satisfactorily open them.  I can glimmer some information when I open them with Calc, which I think will have to do.

I am still wondering why I can't run the java program.  I did an Internet search on the error "could not find libjava.so" (which does exist at /usr/lib/java/lib/i386/libjava.so), but couldn't find anything that seemed to apply to my situation.  I found this, but the user seemed to get different results from the few investigative commands he/she did, so I didn't feel I could follow the advice given.  For instance, at the site, the user got the following:

Code:
$ which java
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_02/bin/java

whereas I get:

Code:
mark:$ which java
/opt/java/bin/java

So I didn't know how to incorporate the solutions given to my situation.

Anyway, if anyone does know how I can get java working, I would appreciate it.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »

Well,
You only need jre installed.  You also failed to respond to which version of VL you run.  I have a fresh 7.0 install with jre only and that .jar file works out of the box.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:14:28 pm »

I am running VL7.0, standard I believe (it comes with XFCE).

Hello MOE-lnx.  Thanks for your help.  I did get it running.  I noticed that when I searched for "jdk" with Gslapt, that I got the various different jdk packages available to install, along with one jre package, that being an older version than the one I had installed (specifically, version 6u25-i586-1 rather than version 7u3-i586-1vl70).  So, I thought "hey, this earlier version must be special!"  So, I removed any jdk I had, along with the newer jre, and installed the older 6u25-i586-1 version.  Then I rebooted, and it was working. 

So, issue solved.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:46:38 pm »

Just to add to the above post, I did upgrade it to see if there was a problem with the newer jre package, and in fact there is no problem.  The program still worked.  So, perhaps it was a conflict between having both jre and jdk packages installed, regardless of the version.  Don't really know.  But it is working now, which is good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: