VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Anybody remember Yggdrasil?  (Read 1120 times)

commiecam

Anybody remember Yggdrasil?
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:36 am »

That's how far back I go, to 1994.  I was then a Red Hat person, that is until it became bloatware around Version 8.  I went on to SuSE, until ditto, and since then, then I've been all over the place.  Currently I am running Vector with XFCE, my first stab at a Slackware derivative, and I like it very much!  It is slick, spare in size and very fast, both on my Turion 64X2 laptop and on Semprons.  I also run PCBSD, the only system that I have yet seen which is as efficient, and Red Hat 7.2 on an old 1997 Maxvision Alpha workstation with a PC164 motherboard.

I am a long time *nix person, retired for eleven years and decidedly rusty as a sysop ( formerly, HP-1000 A990s running RTE-A, HP-9000s running HP-UX and my old Alpha on Tru64), but these days I write a whole lot more literary fiction than  C or Fortran.  My current project is trying to resurrect a Micron Millenia TransPort (40MB, 133 Pentium)  for sentimental reasons.  It was the machine on which I wrote my first novel, using, believe it or not, vi as my editor, but I have not yet found a modern 'light' Linux which will run acceptably.

Anyway, that's me, other than for my login name, Commiercam.  I photograph, preferring film to digital, and most of my equipment is Russian and Ukranian because of its sturdiness and the superb lenses, true 'Commie' cameras.  Glad to be here!

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Anybody remember Yggdrasil?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:43 am »

Welcome :)

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
Re: Anybody remember Yggdrasil?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:28:16 am »

Hey welcome to the fold.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee