VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:55:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: updating  (Read 1015 times)
CWM84

« on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:27 am »

Hi,

I am playing around in a VM and im wondering.. for instance lets say a new version of VL comes out?

In the ubuntu world you use the updater

and in suse you use software management

So what would i do to upgrade to a new version or kernal?

Thanks,
Christopher
ooseven

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »

Go to menu-system-Gslapt package manager and mark
all upgradeable and the execute.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »

Vector linux does not currently allow upgrading to a newer version.
A new install is needed.

For a new kernel upgrade in gslapt is the way to go.

HTH

Bigpaws
ooseven

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »

The subject line fooled me. Just woke up to get ready for work.

Thought ya wanted to update.

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:39:26 am »

Upgrade kernel using gslapt?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
CWM84

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:39 am »

Vector linux does not currently allow upgrading to a newer version.
A new install is needed.

For a new kernel upgrade in gslapt is the way to go.

HTH

Bigpaws

how often do the versions come out?  Once a year or?

I really wished KDE was an option... I really like KDE.. I saw a video on where Vid4ken installed KDE but its TESTING... I like stable builds Sad
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:35 pm »

Thanks,
Christopher

To use Gslapt to upgrade to a new kernel, you would have to enable it to update and upgrade kernel packages.  To do this, press Edit - Preferences, and then select the Excludes tab.  Then remove all the kernel entries from the Excludes list, and you should be able to update and then upgrade your kernel. 

I'm guessing that changing the sources via Edit - Preferences - Sources may allow you to upgrade the entire system from one release to the next, though it seems that doing this is not supported by the developers here (unlike either Debian or Ubuntu).

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »

I really wished KDE was an option... I really like KDE.. I saw a video on where Vid4ken installed KDE but its TESTING... I like stable builds Sad

There is a KDE package in the stable repository, that being kde4-meta.  I imagine this would install KDE.  It comes from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/extra/, which is a stable source (just make sure that the "extra" repository is enabled).  There seem to be two versions of kde4-meta, those being 4.8.0 and 4.8.1.  I would probably try 4.8.0 first, since newer packages are sometimes a little more buggy.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:04:09 pm »

The first thing you do, after saving your data to an external hard drive, is properly partition your hard drive, into root, home and swap partitions.  Assuming you have done that, updating from VL 6 to VL 7 is a breeze.  Just insert the VL7 install disk, do NOT format your home petition, and install.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:45:48 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »

VectorLinux is based on slackware so VL follow it philosophy of update what you want only. VL use gslapt/slapt-get to install/update packages and it do not have an auto update function that ubuntu use. Update all using gslapt is a bad idea (especially with testing repository enable) as it may break your current system.

KDE-4.8.3 is currently in testing repository (32bit only) but as far as i know it is fairly stable. You can try install it. Look for kde4-meta-4.8.3 in gslapt...

Gslapt/slapt-get will not allow you to update kernal...but if you feel adventurous you can manually download the kernal txz files from the repository and use installpkg command to install it.

New version of VL usually take 1 or 2 year to release but that is depend on how fast the VL team can finish it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: