VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:20:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How will vector linux run on this computer? please reply!!  (Read 1017 times)
saransaleen

« on: May 20, 2012, 06:36:04 am »

Hi all, I have a compaq presario 12Xl307 with 64MB ram and 10gb HDD Shocked   . I want to know if vector linux (preferrably version 6.0 onwards) will run (not too slowly Smiley  ) on this pc with a gui. If not can you please suggest a version of vector linux that will run on it and also a link to download it. I really wanna revive this old timer pc Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool           .
Thanking you,
Sam
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

You didnt say what kind of processor it had but if you can get it to install and use a light window manager, it will probably run better than anything else you could install on it. Im running fluxox and right now X is using 45 mgs of resident memory. Firefox on the other hand is using 163 mgs with 3 tabs open, its been running for a few hours tho. So a lot will depend on what applications you decide to run.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

64MB RAM is kind of low to run VL7 Standard...you may try to install the VL7 Light version...
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-LIGHT.iso
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:50:53 am »

Use VL6 Light and use JWM as your window manager. VL7 will probably not install with that little ram. As pointed out above, don't expect to run Firefox on it.

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-Light-Final.iso
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »

I know nightflier's right about the VL 7.0 Light installer being too heavy, but if you could get it installed there are performance and size advantages.

If you're adventuresome, boot the Light 7 CD and drop to the command line at first opportunity.
Set up a 256 MB swap partition, mkswap, and swapon. Now type "setup"(I think). Do the install, but do not set up swap during the install itself. Maybe the previously mounted swap will get you through. If it does, you'll see a "barebones" option -- pick that.

If that fails, maybe you can put the HD into another machine, run the installer, and at the first reboot after file installation power down. Put the HD back into the target machine for the rest so that post-install configuration will be correct.

If those fail or aren't to your taste, 6 Light is your best bet, hands down. I know. I tried absolutely everything else there is before (and after) installing it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:07:48 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: