VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 04:55:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Glom  (Read 5246 times)
murphie

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »

Loops back to startup for me as well.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »

I can't get it to work either.  Don't know why one of the examples displayed last night.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »

Theres a build 3 in the repo would someone give that a shot see if any better luck?

Cheers,
Vec
murphie

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »

Glom v 1.14.7-i586-3vl70 still loops back, right after stating it is starting the database.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »

Somebody's doing something right.  See attached screenshots.  Got them from my machine, running build 3 of glom.  Not to sure what I did. 

I am out of sorts tomorrow but will look at this more on Sunday.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:58:59 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 10:07:13 pm »

Well, I played with Glom quite a bit today.  I was able to get all the examples to open except the Film example.  However, I was unable to see a pattern in the opening process.  It seemed hit and miss.  I think the program is not working right but don't know for sure.  It might be that my unfamiliarity with postgres and linux databases generally (I still use dos foxpro 2.6) is the main problem.  Would be great if someone with more familiarity with glom would give it a try.  I am pretty sure that the example databases can be opened, given enough tries and a little luck.  

And, its possible that the program itself has bugs.  Again, would be great if someone who has used Glom could tell us what is going on in some detail.

I am probably the worse person in the world to be saying this, but I think the install still needs a little tweaking.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:09:21 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 09:00:45 am »

Couple of other comments.

When I go to the glom site (http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Screenshots#Connecting) it seems to indicate that the examples come populated with fields.

However, the examples I get when running glom have no such fields and when I try to input data I get a "no primary key value" error.

Also, the screen shown when clicking on Open Existing Document>Select File seems unreliable in that it shows some of the same .glom files both in a folder and separately, outside the folder.

And, as I may have said, I can't get the film example database to open at all.

John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:08:19 am by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »

I suspect that one of my problems with glom, if not THE problem, is that I don't know how to start postgresql.

vector:/~
johwhi:$ /sbin/service postgresql start
service postgresql is not active.

Any suggestions?

Before running the foregoing, I added
ntpd -qg &

# Startup postgresql
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start
fi

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

and I added rc.local_shutdown  to /etc/rc.d

# Stop postgres
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql stop
fi

But I still get the above "service postgresql is not active." error.

/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql is active (at least its bright green with an asterisk behind it)

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 05:45:40 am »

In VL we have 2 styles of init scripts the Slackware style scripts in /etc/rc.d/ and the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
The service script manages the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
The error: "service postgresql is not active." simple means that the service script does not know about the postgresql startup script.

If you were to copy /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql to /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and then add the service with vasm or vsrvset or even service, then what you would have would be equivalent to the lines you added to rc.local and rc.local_shutdown.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:31 am »

Thanks much uelsk8s

I'm making progress, i.e. following your instructions I was able to start postgresql in vasm:

johwhi:$ /sbin/service postgresql status       
PostgreSQL is running
Warning: Missing pid file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid

I still don't think I have glom connected to postgresql, and will look into that matter tonight or tomorrow.  Perhaps I will have a glom 4th of July.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »

I have heard that glom can use sqlite.  Having no luck so far with postgresql, I thought I would try to see if Glom would recognize sqlite.  Went to the repositories, and it shows that sqlite is installed on my system, but gslapt won't allow me to reload it or remove it.  It seems to just exist and I can't recall how it got onto my system.

Chris530

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:11 am »

Why not use Kexi instead of Glom?  It's now been glued into Calligra aka KOffice suite and Calligra is in the repo.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:10 pm »

Chris530,

Thanks for the Kexi suggestion.  It has some very good points.  A drawback though is that if you change the database design after inputting data all data in the table changed is lost.  

Glom does not appear to have that problem (I have been testing glom 1.2.1 on a ubuntu machine).

However, I would hope to get glom up and running on my machine which is Vector.

The version in the repositories does not, best I can tell, connect to the postgresql database.  At least it won't save data.

I tried installing the slackware version on the glom site (older version for slackware 13.0) and got the following errors:

(images are backwards but I don't know how to reorder them...added)

On installpkg:

On trying to run glom:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:18:56 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 09:24:32 pm »

Here is the error message when I try to run glom from the vector repositories:

PS  I tried installing glom-1.21.8.tar.xz from sourceforge but it extracted to a .tar file and I don't know how to install a .tar file from source.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:29:54 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 07:34:15 am »

Ok,

Figured out how to install from .xz BUT on ./configure notice that glom needs a lot of gnome files that are not in the VL repositories  (or, more accurately, the required version of which is not in the vector repositories).

So, anyone know how I would install a recent version of gnome on my VL system, where I could still run xfce but would also have the necessary gnome files to run glom?  The sole purpose of installing gnome would be to get those files.  I do not want to run gnome.

John

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: