VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 12:50:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluxbox, Blackbox and Openbox on Vector 5.8  (Read 22508 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: January 17, 2007, 08:00:27 am »

Has anyone managed to compile and build these on the latest Vector? I've had a go at all of them but I haven't had much success. None of them work as yet.

It's no big deal for me because I've got both icewm and fvwm (which is probably my favourite) to work, but all the same I'd like to know what's going wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:57 am »

You don't need to compile fluxbox - there is a fluxbox package for VL5.8 alredy in the repository. Install it, create a $HOME/.fluxbox directory and then reboot X and there should be a dropdown (left side) of the KDM login manager screen where fluxbox will appear as an option.

I don't recommend blackbox as it has not been developed for about 3 years now. fluxbox as you many know, is a fork of blackbox and does the same and more for little cost in extra resources.

I compiled openbox quite easily on my 5.8 machine, works fine. I did not make a package however, so I can't send you one or I would.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:13:15 am »

Lagagnon, if we know there is an error in the Fluxbox package (creating the home dir) don't we need to repackage it? So other users won't have this inconvenience when installing Fluxbox from the repo?
If we know where the problem is, why not fix it? Just a thought..

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:40:31 am »

Freeman: true enough, but please remember this is a volunteer effort and folks here do that work out of the goodness of their hearts and need to find time amongst all the other things in their lives!  Wink . Also, Fluxbox is not an essential component of the VL distribution or it would have been done by now.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:06:40 pm »

You're right. Such things may not be expected by volunteers. My apologizes...

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:16:05 pm »

Thanks for the replies above. Anyway I've got openbox working now and I'm posting from it, so that's a good outcome.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:18:36 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:52 am »

You don't need to compile fluxbox - there is a fluxbox package for VL5.8 alredy in the repository. Install it, create a $HOME/.fluxbox directory and then reboot X and there should be a dropdown (left side) of the KDM login manager screen where fluxbox will appear as an option.

I don't recommend blackbox as it has not been developed for about 3 years now. fluxbox as you many know, is a fork of blackbox and does the same and more for little cost in extra resources.

I compiled openbox quite easily on my 5.8 machine, works fine. I did not make a package however, so I can't send you one or I would.

Thanks for the advice, which I've taken and I'm now running and posting from fluxbox. It's a very good window manager IMO, with tabbed windows for ease of dragging around the desktop.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:31:10 am »

I should have added that as with fluxbox you need to make a directory (.openbox) underneath your $HOME directory.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 12:23:48 pm »

You're right. Such things may not be expected by volunteers. My apologizes...

What is the error in question, exactly?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:07:55 am »

I think the problem was that it didn't have a subdirectory to which it should put its config files, so it crashed. You need to put one there beneath the $HOME directory in order for it to work.

Apologies if I'm wrong about this.
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:01:56 am »

This is the part that isn't included in the package, according to lagagnon:

Code:
create a $HOME/.fluxbox directory

If the .fluxbox directory will automagically be created in the home dir, everything will work as expected.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:10:09 am »

Thanks, you're right.

I couldn't get Blackbox to compile, but there's a cutdown version called hackedbox which will and had a recent version (2007) which is available from this site;

http://scrudgeware.org/projects/Hackedbox
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 08:28:47 pm »

Code:

If the .fluxbox directory will automagically be created in the home dir, everything will work as expected.

Then we have a few choices for how to handle that. The easiest one, IMO, is adding a .fluxbox directory to /etc/skel.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 02:07:02 am »

Why not have .fluxbox under /root? I'm not arguing, just ignorant frankly.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 05:15:53 am »

Code:

Then we have a few choices for how to handle that. The easiest one, IMO, is adding a .fluxbox directory to /etc/skel.

this will work for users created after the package is installed and it should be added to the package, but it doesnt take care of existing users.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: