VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 09:37:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluxbox, Blackbox and Openbox on Vector 5.8  (Read 22962 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 11:06:33 pm »

I agree, I'm in Fluxbox at the moment. Still, someone might be interested, especially with a very old machine (backpedals furiously) Smiley
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 11:35:57 am »

Very old machine won't run Vector 5.8 Wink .

I think - this is a way to go Wink :
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/faijeya/flux3d.png (256rb)

Yeah, that's EVE-Online in the background Wink .

Running silent, running deep
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 02:40:09 am »

First you have to find somewhere to put them. I would make a directory like /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz. Then, in xorg.conf, where you see all the other lines that have FontPath in them, add one more that sez FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz/:unscaled". The :unscaled qualifier is important because blown-up fixed fonts make it look like someone drew on your screen with mascara.

I've tried this but no change thus far. Is there anything else I need to do to "fix" the changes? I remember there was a discussion on this concerning using TTF (Windows) fonts in Vector.

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 07:09:25 am »

Are you using a theme that uses Artwiz fonts? That's important obviously. You could also try moving the line to the top of the list if there are other fonts that use the same name as the artwiz fonts (though I doubt it).

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:37 pm »

I'm using the Artwiz themes in Openbox and Fluxbox, and they should do it but so far they don't.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 03:36:36 pm »

Did you remember to copy over the fonts.dir and fonts.alias files?

I never used the artwiz fonts before now, but I have them successfully installed; that's the only step I might have glossed over. Can you see them in the output of xlsfonts anyway?

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 01:48:25 pm »

Did you remember to copy over the fonts.dir and fonts.alias files?

Er, there aren't any for artwiz, at leasst not in the file I downloaded.

I never used the artwiz fonts before now, but I have them successfully installed; that's the only step I might have glossed over. Can you see them in the output of xlsfonts anyway?

No I can't. I haven't a fricking clue about Linux fonts to be honest.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 01:57:53 pm »

http://artwizaleczapka.sourceforge.net/

If you get the fonts from here, you can copy over the fonts.dir and fonts.alias files. That should clear it up after you restart the X server (typing xset fp rehash may even suffice).

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 02:05:20 pm »

Thanks, done;

It looks like a thinner-bodied Helvetica tbh. Success anyway! Artwiz is a cool-looking theme in Openbox, I'm using it with the SeaNight wallpaper from WindowMaker.

Thanks for your help. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:07:49 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2007, 04:15:46 pm »

Have a screenshot?

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2007, 08:34:21 am »

I will, but as yet I don't have a decent screenshot program. Puppy uses mtpaint to take screenshots with a 10 second delay, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet, so I'm downloading a program called scrot and plan to have a go with that.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 09:41:45 am »

Quick update; I wasn't able to get scrot to compile, because Vector doesn't seem to have a library called giblib.

However, Puppy has a utility called mtpaint snapshot, which is a .sh file and which I copied over to Vector;

#!/bin/sh

xmessage -center -bg "#ff00ff" -title "mtPaint screen snapshot utility" -buttons "" -timeout 8 "
There will now be a pause of 10 seconds to allow you to adjust
windows as you wish, then a snapshot will be taken of entire screen.

Note, you can also take a snapshot of the main menu. Close this window,
open the main menu to the desired layout, then wait until the 10 seconds
has expired.

This window will disappear in 8 seconds from its creation." &

sleep 10
exec mtpaint -s

and it works. The hardest thing is waiting for PhotoBucket to load when you're on dialup. Talk about watching paint dry....

I gave up in the end but I might try again from a public, broadband-enabled machine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:31:19 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2007, 05:38:59 pm »

I kinda lost track of what's being discussed here, but if there's a question of taking screen shots with VL 5.8 Standard, you have at least two options:

*  Vector (Start) menu, Graphics, Shutterbug. Right-click on the bug in the upper left to find the options.

*  The Gimp, File menu, Acquire, Screen Shot.

Both options let you set things like delays and whole screen or a window. Shutterbug has several more options.

If you install ImageMagick (it's in the VL repositories), you can use the import command-line utility, which has tons of options. Do man import after you install ImageMagick.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 10:34:02 pm »

Hi GG. We were discussing the -box series of window managers (Fluxbox, Openbox and HackedBox), and I was having trouble getting the Artwiz font to display in the theme of trhe same name. Then hanumizzle asked for a screenshot, which I'm happy to provide once;

1/ I figure out how to produce one, and

2 / I get past the infernally long loading time of Photobucket, where I store the screenshot file I'm hoping to link to. I still haven't cracked that one yet.

Thanks for the advice on how to create a screenshot btw, I've used a utility copied over from another distro (Puppy) to do it this time but I may try your advice in the future.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:00:48 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 11:30:30 pm »

Thanks for the advice on how to create a screenshot btw, I've used a utility copied over from another distro (Puppy) to do it this time but I may try your advice in the future.

And don't forget the good old program xv, fast and easy. One can find it in slackware-xap.

xv is an interactive image manipulation program.

Regards
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: