VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:16:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 SOHO FINAL bug reports and comments  (Read 12136 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:29 pm »

Please post any comments, bugs, general praise and anything else that comes to mind regarding the new SOHO final release here...............Smiley

Thanks,
Vector
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

Ok ill try again. The first time i tried to post this the board software wouldnt let me attach files without extensions and when i corrected that it told me that i had already made that post and couldnt post the same thing twice.
KDE didnt start correctly, a black screen instead of wallpaper and the mouse cursor is a sort of scribble about an inch long.
Lots of dbus errors in the .xsession-errors log and the xorg.conf doesnt look right. Im attaching both if the forum gods cooperate.
As you can see dbus has started

Code:
oot:# ps aux -ww |grep dbus
81        1960  0.0  0.0   3116  1288 ?        Ss   18:20   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
root      2351  0.0  0.0   3636   596 ?        S    18:21   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
root      2352  0.0  0.0   3604  1352 ?        Ss   18:21   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 8 --session
root      3262  0.0  0.0   2444   788 pts/1    S+   18:56   0:00 grep dbus

Hardware: Pentium D dual core i965 chipset, geforce 210 video card.

This is on the first boot of a new install of soho 7
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:40:45 pm by fogpipe » Logged
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

Ok ill try again. The first time i tried to post this the board software wouldnt let me attach files without extensions and when i corrected that it told me that i had already made that post and couldnt post the same thing twice.
KDE didnt start correctly, a black screen instead of wallpaper and the mouse cursor is a sort of scribble about an inch long.
Lots of dbus errors in the .xsession-errors log and the xorg.conf doesnt look right. Im attaching both if the forum gods cooperate.
As you can see dbus has started

Code:
oot:# ps aux -ww |grep dbus
81        1960  0.0  0.0   3116  1288 ?        Ss   18:20   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
root      2351  0.0  0.0   3636   596 ?        S    18:21   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
root      2352  0.0  0.0   3604  1352 ?        Ss   18:21   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 8 --session
root      3262  0.0  0.0   2444   788 pts/1    S+   18:56   0:00 grep dbus

Hardware: Pentium D dual core i965 chipset, geforce 210 video card.

This is on the first boot of a new install of soho 7

Running with X on auto with no xorg.conf fixed it Smiley Nevermind.
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

After blacklisting the nouveau driver, uninstalling cairo-dock (which is really impressive for about 10 minutes the first tiem you see it) and tweaking the xorg.conf for correct monitor refresh rates, its a really nice looking kde desktop. Great job, i especially like the improvements in the installer.

I would hate to be a newbie with an nvidia card trying to deal with that nouveau driver tho, it loaded after the nvidia driver blacklisted it and it loaded after i blacklisted it. What a piece of crap.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »

Installed from a USB stick loaded with the iso install files as outlined in my
post in "How to's".

Gui installation went smooth and fast. Root password was accepted. User
and password entered but gave then Failed error and installation was aborted. Normal with VL7. 
Knowing this I usually do not enter a user with VL7,
just wanted to see if this had been corrected.

Booted into this SOHO box and as usual with VL7 the root password which had been
entered during installation had not registered and remained a preset blank.

Internet connection, sound and printers working.

By the looks of it for those lovers of KDE I am sure this is a great box.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »

After blacklisting the nouveau driver, uninstalling cairo-dock (which is really impressive for about 10 minutes the first tiem you see it) and tweaking the xorg.conf for correct monitor refresh rates, its a really nice looking kde desktop. Great job, i especially like the improvements in the installer.

I would hate to be a newbie with an nvidia card trying to deal with that nouveau driver tho, it loaded after the nvidia driver blacklisted it and it loaded after i blacklisted it. What a piece of crap.

The nouveau driver may not be for all Nvidia. I have ran across an issue with it myself, during internal testing. The best way to get rid of it is to:
1.) Uninstall nouveau it using gslapt.
2.) Download Nvidia driver for your card.
3.) Reboot computer using TUI option in menu.
4.) Install Nvidia driver.
5.) Reboot to normal mode.

This will prevent the driver from loading, since it is no longer installed. Blacklisting the nouveau driver seems to be as much of a "hit or miss" as the nouveau driver working. Nouveau is still "young" in it's development, give it more time as the developers there work out some more stuff with it. I think it is a great alternative to the closed source and licensed driver. It just needs a little more work from the developing end. They've come a long way so far, covering most cards, so please give them some credit and encouragement.

Anyway, if you end up with a black screen instead of a desktop after entering the login information, it may be the nouveau driver. Cure it as listed above and you should be fine.

NOTE: You should be able to log into the XFCE desktop without issue to do the above steps. This seems to be mostly an issue with KDE4. If you can't get into either desktop, then you will need to select a vesa driver during installation, then you may proceed.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:30:18 pm »

Got a video of the nvidia driver install, for anyone it may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiR8ZAl-Qm0

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:50 am »

post in "How to's".

and password entered but gave then Failed error and installation was aborted. Normal with VL7.  

Booted into this SOHO box and as usual with VL7 the root password which had been

How do you get the contents of cd #2 to install using this method?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:20:08 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

post in "How to's".

That's easy. On first boot in login window Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives you console. Login as root.
Make a directory like CD2. Open that CD2.iso file, I use "mc". Copy directory /packages to /CD2.
Then: installpkg /CD2/packages/*/*.txz
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:55:06 pm by Pita » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:19:14 am »

Something I've noticed over the past few releases. As I hate splash screens, I usually rip them out of grub when I install a new version. There's an error I've been meaning to track down, but kept forgetting about until today.

in rc.S, the following results in an error:

# Additional file system now
echo 1 > /sys/power/tuxonice/do_resume 2>/dev/null

If you look in /sys/power, there is no tuxonice directory, let alone a do_resume file.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 03:49:45 am »

post in "How to's".

I'm wondering the same thing, since the myinstall.sh script on the  second SOHO CD doesn't seem to work. My guess is that you have to copy the files of the SOHO CD into your installation you made from the first SOHO CD and then install them from the hard drive using a utility such as installpkg.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:37:41 am »

post in "How to's".

That's easy. On first boot in login window Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives you console. Login as root.
Make a directory like CD2. Open that CD2.iso file, I use "mc". Copy directory /packages to /CD2.
Then: installpkg /CD2/packages/*/*.txz

I ended up using this method.
The installer program is a pretty smart piece of programming.  Stripped of the Packages directory
it look any iso's it can install. So a usb drive with nothing but the installer bits loaded and a copy of the iso(s),
will install everything.

DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:13:06 pm »

I just wanted to post a quick note and say thank you for including vlinstall-iso/vinstall-iso. I don't know of any other distro that includes something like this.

For you new guys who have never used this before, it's a way of installing VL from your old VL install (or another Linux distro). Example below.

Code:
Comp://mnt/miscstorage
root:# mount -o loop VL7.0-SOHO-FINAL1.iso /mnt/loop
Comp://mnt/loop/install/vinstall
root:# cp vinstall-iso-ng  /mnt/miscstorage/vinstall-iso-ng
root:# cd
root:# umount /mnt/loop

Then Ctrl+Alt+F2, login as root, and
#chmod +x vinstall-iso-ng
#bash vinstall-iso-ng /mnt/miscstorageV/L7.0-SOHO-FINAL1.iso
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:53 am »

I tried installing on my 2008 Acer Aspire 7730G, but I have some issues with this version that I'd like to bring to your attention.

First, I can't use the graphical installer. It just shows me 'loading X-files" over and over again (I had the same error on VL7.0 Standard). This leads me to believe that the installer fails to launch the x-server on my laptop, and just keeps trying, resulting in an endless loop. Not sure though. Rebooted, used the text installer instead, but it doesn't let me choose packages, just installs everything on CD1, and nothing from CD2. After booting into a fresh install I can't seem to run KDE (Thank goodness XFCE seems to work fine). Looks like the text installer is not up to the task of installing SOHO.

Then, there are some missing dependencies for the packages on CD2. I changed the sources for slapt-get to just the cdrom. After this, I tried to get a couple of KDE packages installed, but they require some portaudio package that isn't available on either of the installation CD's. Also, noticed that some packages (requiring phonon 4.6.0) didn't like that the phonon version was 4.6 (without .0). Not sure if this is a bug in slapt-get/gslapt or in the name of the package. I copied /var/log/packages/phonon-4.6 to /var/log/packages/phonon-4.6.0 to solve this. There were also some other issues with dependencies not being available on the cd's. soprano was version 2.7.3 and some packages expected 2.7.4. Looks to me like the packages on CD2 may not have been made on a clean box.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the rest up and running later, but I'm kind of disappointed by the issues I ran into. Especially since the same SOHO version installed very well on a virtual machine in VirtualBox.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:49:28 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »

Despite my earlier problems, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my new SOHO install. I installed everything including the kitchen sink from the second CD, and it looks a lot better now. KDE seems to work just great, and so does everything else thus far.

Nice release, hope we can do something about the problem I faced with the GUI installer in future versions. Ideally I'd see the text installer offering the same functionality as the GUI installer, but I understand that maintaining 2 installers can be a pain.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: