VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 03:33:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: General questions about VL  (Read 427 times)
greywalk

« on: June 03, 2012, 02:56:09 am »

Hi,

As I've never tried VL before but tempted to do so, I have several general questions about it:

- I'm interested in VL 7 SOHO, what packages does the 2nd CD contain? Where can I see the contents of the 2nd CD?
- How many packages do VL repositories roughly have?
- Is there a searchable listing of all available packages (like for example, packages.sabayon.org or software.opensuse.org)? I'd like to check the availability of some specific packages.
- How quickly are Mozilla apps (Firefox / Thunderbird) updated in the repos? Or a does a new version come with a new VL release only?
- And there is a graphical package management tool as far as I've noticed, right?
- And finally, is there a x86_64 version of VL7??? I have a machine with 4 GB of RAM and would like to be able to use all of it.

Thanks.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:16 am »

I will do my best:

I'm interested in VL 7 SOHO, what packages does the 2nd CD contain? Where can I see the contents of the 2nd CD?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/
There isos are there. You can download, then mount and read the packages.txt file
Should be KDE and a couple other things on CD2

- How many packages do VL repositories roughly have?
Not sure couple hundred, package request can be made.

- Is there a searchable listing of all available packages (like for example, packages.sabayon.org or software.opensuse.org)? I'd like to check the availability of some specific packages.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/PACKAGES.TXT

- How quickly are Mozilla apps (Firefox / Thunderbird) updated in the repos? Or a does a new version come with a new VL release only?
Usually a couple days or less

- And there is a graphical package management tool as far as I've noticed, right?
gslapt

- And finally, is there a x86_64 version of VL7??? I have a machine with 4 GB of RAM and would like to be able to use all of it
There is currently a VL 64 RC1 out. x86 machines can use 4 gig of RAM, generally anything above is where the the use of
RAM is hampered. Most distributions use PAE to address the 4 gig limit. I am not positive that VL 64 has 32 bit compatabilty
which would limit the repository.

HTH

Bigpaws
greywalk

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:28:26 am »

Bigpaws, thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: