I will do my best:
I'm interested in VL 7 SOHO, what packages does the 2nd CD contain? Where can I see the contents of the 2nd CD?http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/
There isos are there. You can download, then mount and read the packages.txt file
Should be KDE and a couple other things on CD2
- How many packages do VL repositories roughly have?
Not sure couple hundred, package request can be made.
- Is there a searchable listing of all available packages (like for example, packages.sabayon.org or software.opensuse.org)? I'd like to check the availability of some specific packages.http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/PACKAGES.TXT
- How quickly are Mozilla apps (Firefox / Thunderbird) updated in the repos? Or a does a new version come with a new VL release only?
Usually a couple days or less
- And there is a graphical package management tool as far as I've noticed, right?
- And finally, is there a x86_64 version of VL7??? I have a machine with 4 GB of RAM and would like to be able to use all of it
There is currently a VL 64 RC1 out. x86 machines can use 4 gig of RAM, generally anything above is where the the use of
RAM is hampered. Most distributions use PAE to address the 4 gig limit. I am not positive that VL 64 has 32 bit compatabilty
which would limit the repository.