VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: General questions about VL  (Read 730 times)

greywalk

General questions about VL
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:09 am »

Hi,

As I've never tried VL before but tempted to do so, I have several general questions about it:

- I'm interested in VL 7 SOHO, what packages does the 2nd CD contain? Where can I see the contents of the 2nd CD?
- How many packages do VL repositories roughly have?
- Is there a searchable listing of all available packages (like for example, packages.sabayon.org or software.opensuse.org)? I'd like to check the availability of some specific packages.
- How quickly are Mozilla apps (Firefox / Thunderbird) updated in the repos? Or a does a new version come with a new VL release only?
- And there is a graphical package management tool as far as I've noticed, right?
- And finally, is there a x86_64 version of VL7??? I have a machine with 4 GB of RAM and would like to be able to use all of it.

Thanks.

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: General questions about VL
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:16 am »

I will do my best:

I'm interested in VL 7 SOHO, what packages does the 2nd CD contain? Where can I see the contents of the 2nd CD?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/
There isos are there. You can download, then mount and read the packages.txt file
Should be KDE and a couple other things on CD2

- How many packages do VL repositories roughly have?
Not sure couple hundred, package request can be made.

- Is there a searchable listing of all available packages (like for example, packages.sabayon.org or software.opensuse.org)? I'd like to check the availability of some specific packages.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/PACKAGES.TXT

- How quickly are Mozilla apps (Firefox / Thunderbird) updated in the repos? Or a does a new version come with a new VL release only?
Usually a couple days or less

- And there is a graphical package management tool as far as I've noticed, right?
gslapt

- And finally, is there a x86_64 version of VL7??? I have a machine with 4 GB of RAM and would like to be able to use all of it
There is currently a VL 64 RC1 out. x86 machines can use 4 gig of RAM, generally anything above is where the the use of
RAM is hampered. Most distributions use PAE to address the 4 gig limit. I am not positive that VL 64 has 32 bit compatabilty
which would limit the repository.

HTH

Bigpaws

greywalk

Re: General questions about VL
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

Bigpaws, thank you