VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 02:32:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening file manager as root in normal user sessiion - VL 7 STD  (Read 847 times)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »

I'm trying to help someone remotely with VL and I can't persuade him here to the forum. At this point, it'd be helpful to copy files to directories with root priveleges without logging in as root.

As for myself, I'm currently VL-less and have used only Light, not STD.

PCManFM has an option to "open current folder as root". Is there something similar in STD's fm (Thunar?)?

Also, will "cat CRLFfile.txt > NLfile.txt" do a CRLF to NL conversion? Is there an easier/better way?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:44:47 pm »

Right click in thunar gives "Open terminal here" option

I'm not getting your meaning on the other part of the question.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:36:38 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »

What I'm looking to do is open a thunar window that has root privileges (for copying files to /etc, for examlple) inside a normal user's session.

The other part is this:
I'm working from a Microsoft box. You'll recall that lines in text files are terminated with CR+LF -- think "DOS text" --, whereas on a unix or Linux machine, NL (or LF, if you must) ends a line. Not sure it's required anymore, but it's certainly appropriate to convert the CRLF "newlines" to NL newlines before leaving the file or script to run on the VL machine.

In DOS or CMD, I can execute "type unixfile.txt > dosfile.txt" to convert NL to CRLF. I wanted to know if doing the same thing with "cat" would convert dostext to NL, or learn a good, simple way to accomplish it.

We're working with the lower half of the charsets, so charset's not a problem. Besides native, I have ANSI and UTF-8 if it becomes relevant.

If someone wants to experiment, a short dostext file is attached. You might need a hex editor to see the difference, but I think ViM or nano will at least show a difference.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:57:57 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »

For thunar as root, open a terminal, su to root, and run "thunar" (no quotes).

For converting dos format files to unix format, use dos2unix in a terminal. There's a way to do it with vim too, but I don't remember it right now.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »

For thunar as root, open a terminal, su to root, and run "thunar" (no quotes).
I was hoping for a totally point-and-click way (aside from typing in root password). Could always write a .desktop, I suppose.

What's the preferred graphical su command for VL 7 STD?

During a very brief interval when my brick had computerish aspirations, I did see an easy way to add this functionality to Thunar. Would paste a link, but the brick where I left it is now training to be a jelly donut.

For converting dos format files to unix format, use dos2unix in a terminal. There's a way to do it with vim too, but I don't remember it right now.
Dos2unix will work. Wasn't sure VL had it in normal default install. Still curious about cat, tho.

Thanks Daniel.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:16:28 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: