VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Installing VL on an encrypted disk.  (Read 705 times)

zero27esc

Installing VL on an encrypted disk.
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:33:33 am »

I currently have Slackware 13.37 installed on my laptops hard disk using LUKS and LVM, as per the README_CRYPT.TXT.  Given that I take the laptop to work, I need to have a way to secure my data in the event that my laptop is stolen.

I saw another thread about encrypting a hard disk here in the forms that turned into a discussion of the merits of hard disk encryption.  I bought the laptop 2003.  It has never had an OS installed without some form of encryption.  I have three other computers at home, all have their hard drives encrypted.  Losing the password is not an issue.  The security of encryption outweighs any negligible performance loss I would encounter.  (Two of the computers are running audio and video recording software).

I am interested in giving VL a try, but I need to be able to install it on an encrypted hard disk.  Has anyone been able to successfully install VL on an encrypted disk with LVM and LUKS?

Thank you.

-JJ