VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:24:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I liked the OS but..  (Read 1976 times)
CWM84

« on: June 11, 2012, 05:04:14 am »

Hello All,

I liked Vector Linux but...... I dont think I could do the kernal upgrades myself... Having to go to a website and search for the new kernal and download those 3 files plus drivers and then having to do the installation.. If it was simpler I would be ok....... I do like the os pretty fast on this old klunker..

Is there not an easier way to do it?

If so can you please explain in detail how? ( so I can save it for my records )

Would gslapt alert me and could do it though that instead of downloading files and getting a headache?

Thanks,
Christopher
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:12:40 am by CWM84 » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:08 am »

Why do you feel you must upgrade your kernel as soon as a new one is released?  It is not hard at all to do in case you can justify upgrading kernels like a mad man

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:14 am »

When a new release comes out (IE, VL-8.0), I'm concerned about how an upgrade is made.  I've read elsewhere that the release cannot be upgraded (gslapt or otherwise), but instead a user has to reinstall the entire operating system, which seems quite backward.  So, the concern about kernel upgrades for me ties into this concern about system upgrades.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:08:27 am »

yeah, that's true.

You usually can't just roll out a anything similar to dist-upgrade in your brown|purple distro.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

Compiling/using a new kernel isn't actually too difficult. Here is a guide for it: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/compiling-linux-kernel-26.html
Yes, the guide is for kernel 2.6.x, but the commands and stuff should be the same for later versions too. Just substitute version numbers as needed.

Also, reinstalling the OS to upgrade to the new version ensures that there won't be any conflicting config files and stuff that could keep things from working quite right. In-place upgrades can *sometimes* have associated problems.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Why do you feel you must upgrade your kernel as soon as a new one is released?  It is not hard at all to do in case you can justify upgrading kernels like a mad man

"Because it's there" ~ George Mallory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »

When a new release comes out (IE, VL-8.0), I'm concerned about how an upgrade is made.

I have VL 7 (only) on my computer.  I have my hard drive partitioned into swap, home and root.  VL 7 is in root.  My data is in home.

If you have the same (see above), updating to a new VL, when it comes out, is not hard.  After backing up, just install the new VL in root and leave your home partition alone (do NOT format it).  During the install, import your settings.  That's it.  Most everything works fine, though a few adjustments are usually needed.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »

I don't see the reason to upgrade kernel if the current kernel working fine... Smiley
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:13:33 am »

I don't see the reason to upgrade kernel if the current kernel working fine... Smiley

Performance, features, etc. Smiley

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »

bug fixes, security fixes...

My question to the OP, If you can't download and install 3 pkgs as root from the command line, how are you ever going to get the new kernel to boot?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:32:43 am »

bug fixes, security fixes...

My question to the OP, If you can't download and install 3 pkgs as root from the command line, how are you ever going to get the new kernel to boot?

Dang.. you nailed that one. Wink

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:48 am »

When a new release comes out (IE, VL-8.0), I'm concerned about how an upgrade is made.

I have VL 7 (only) on my computer.  I have my hard drive partitioned into swap, home and root.  VL 7 is in root.  My data is in home.

If you have the same (see above), updating to a new VL, when it comes out, is not hard.  After backing up, just install the new VL in root and leave your home partition alone (do NOT format it).  During the install, import your settings.  That's it.  Most everything works fine, though a few adjustments are usually needed.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I recently reinstalled VL-7 and set it up as you suggested, with a separate /home partition.  It makes me feel more secure knowing that this is now separate and not mixed in with everything else, thus making it easier to preserve the data that's most important.  So now hopefully as new versions come out I'll be able to upgrade via a new install while still preserving my files.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:50 pm »

I think you guys ran off the OP... or maybe he just said all he had to say already Wink

But in all seriousness, I think that a more streamlined method to upgrade kernels is needed for us. Perhaps a VASM widget would be the solution here?

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

Perhaps a VASM widget would be the solution here?

I second that.

Dark Rider

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:56 am »

I'll third that.

Yep, I'm one who don't use the terminal much. I believe the only thing you should bash in Linux is the terminal itself.  I made a funny :-0

Seriously. I want to use Vector to run a MUD (text based online game) from a virtual machine ( VirtualBox) under Windows 7 64bit for hosting onto the internet.  I need the fastest Linux that's rather full featured I can get. (hoping to use Vector Lite 7.0) If upgrading the kernel will help me eek out a lil more performance especially in this situation, then that's what I'll need to do. For me, any gain I can get will make a critical difference I believe. The easier it is to upgrade the kernel, the better.

I don't know though. The system might run just as fast without upgrading the kernel - just sayin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: