VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: arch-makepkg  (Read 2427 times)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
arch-makepkg
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »

I have linphone 3.4.3 installed and am trying to update it.  There is an Arch Linux package for linphone 3.5.2.  I downloaded arch-makepkg ver 3.5.4 from the VL repositories.   I understand it can convert arch packages to slackware packages.  When I run arch-makepkg from a terminal I get "/etc/makepkg.conf not found."

Any suggestions? 
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: arch-makepkg
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »

Copy /etc/makepkg.conf.sample to /etc/makepkg.conf

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:30 pm »

Thanks! 

That worked.  However, when I run, for example,

arch-makepkg bcg729-1.0.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz

I get

==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist.

I think it does exist.  I navigated to the linphone src directory, opened a terminal, typed arch-makepkg bc and tab finished it.

I have not used arch linux or arch-makepkg before and obviously don't know what I'm doing.

Any more suggestions?

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

I think I will let arch-linux go for a while and try a regular build of linphone from source later tonight or tomorrow.  I am against learning anything I don't have to learn.  I am afraid that I might otherwise fill up my alleged mind.  Only thing I don't like about traditional package building is I don't know how to delete when the new build doesn't work. 

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:27 am »

arch-makepkg will not convert an arch package to vector format.  It will build from their source, with their build instructions.

Much like building from a SlackBuild, so what you want to find is the PKGBUILD file that builds that package in arch linux.  Then run makepkg in the dir that has that file.