VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 06:34:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: linphone 3.5.2  (Read 4643 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »

There is an older version in slackbuilds.org which doesn't work as well as twinkle.  Twinkle doesn't do video and there have been several upgrades to the slackbuilds version of linphone.  It would be great to eventually get linphone in the repositories.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:24 am »

Well, Duh,

I downloaded linphone 3.5.2, went back to slackbuilds.org, changed the version in the slackbuild, and it seems to work fine.  Should have done that in the first place.  I haven't tried the video yet but the slackbuild.org audio in 3.5.2 works fine.

Those poor folks who still use Skype are probably too young to remember what Microsoft did to monetize foxpro after acquiring it.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:35:48 pm »

Talking to myself here.  However, video doesn't seem to work.  No video codecs show in Video Codecs (under preferences).  Nor does the little video window pop up when I enable video.  It might be some setting my my machine that turns camera on and,off, but if so, I can't find it.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:35 am »

Well,  I think I have linphone 3.5.2 running, with video.

Here are the relevant files on my system:

Slackware version:  13.37.0 (32 bit)
libeXosip2 3.5.0
libosip2 3.5.0
speex 1.2rcl
linphone 3.5.2

lame 3.98.4
ffmpeg 0.8.7

I had done the slackbuilds thing right, by changing the version in the linphone slackbuild from 3.4.3 to 3.5.2.  However, I had used the ffmpeg from the VL repositories (0.11) and not the version on slackbuilds.org (0.8.7).  Also I had not compiled the slackbuilds ffmpeg correctly in that I had not compiled it with
X264=no LAME=yes ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild

In addition, I had not compiled the slackbuilds linphone 3.5.2 properly in that I had not compiled it with
VIDEO=yes ./linphone.SlackBuild

I have sent a thank you to Eugene Wissner, the fellow who maintains linphone on slackbuilds.org for his assistance.  He says he will soon have the slackbuilds.org version of linphone updated.

It still would be nice to have linphone in the VL repositories.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:11:27 pm »

hi sledgehammer

I've built a new linphone and it is available in extra.  (yeah, I know should be testing, but just lost track of where I was when moving it.)

Anyway, I don't know what I'm doing to test it.  Starts up fine and my video starts and I can see me sitting in front of my desk, but that's all I've done.

Give me some pointers on what to do next. Thanks.

Oh, and you'll notice that it shows up under other in the menu.  Will fix that once we know it's working right.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:25:07 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »

Thanks!

I don't know if you have to have a sip phone provider to test it or not.  I think there is a way but I have never tried it.  Rather I have a diamondcard.us account which allows me to call anyone's land line or cell phone on linphone, whether they have linphone installed or not.  I am pretty sure, without knowing, that linphone's video feature (and voice) may work without a sip provider, provided the other party has linphone installed on his or her computer.

I am trying to get my sweetheart to install linphone on her mac and will let you know how that goes.  

This whole sip business is a bit new to me.  However, I use Twinkle now constantly as, using diamondcard.us, it can call any phone anywhere in the world for just a little more than nothing.  Linphone will do the same as Twinkle, plus the video (but, I believe, minus twinkle's handy conference call feature).  I am hoping that linphone 3.5.2 has better sound quality than linphone 3.4.3, which I was using.  

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »

Been playing with linphone for the day.
They provide a free sip account, which I'd like to test with a person, rather than the echo test sip number.

I've also, got a diamondcard.us account which I'd like to test.  Particularly with the video. 
The diamondcard account should let me do land lines. Will test that as well.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:36:37 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

I installed linphone 3.5.2 from the VL repositories tonight.  It ran just fine.  I love the video.

I guess ekiga does about the same but I have never been able to install it properly.  Too complicated.  Now I don't need to.

Free video linphone to linphone on sip:linphonename@sip.linphone.org

Almost free audio linphone to land lines and cell phones on sip:diamondcardname@sip.diamondcard.us (I called Mexico today for 2 minutes from Nevada for 79 cents).  And made a 7 minute local call for 11 cents.

Still need to use Twinkle for conference calls.  I think.  And Twinkle is great for checking diamondcard account stats.

Thank you very much.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:16:05 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:57:05 am »

The video seems to work just fine, but the audio on Twinkle seems better.  Perhaps it is my audio codecs or the way they are loaded.  I am attaching (I hope) the linphone and the twinkle screenshots.  Does anything come to mind that I should be doing differently on linphone (twinkle seems to work just fine).

John

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Do you get better sound when you disable video in linphone.  Could it be the extra bandwidth that video requires that is effecting sound.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

Video was disabled when I get the choppy audio.  However, I was at home, with reduced bandwidth. If I disable G722, sound seems better but occasionally I can't hear the caller.  With G722 enabled, I can hear, but sort of choppy. Perhaps I should just use linphone for video and twinkle for regular phone calls?

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »

I just had a pleasant half-hour long-distance linphone audio chat with my daughter.  I am attaching a screenshot of my codec page.  Those two (PCMU and PCMA) and just those two seem to work best on my system.  Don't know if fact that I use usb headset is important or not.  

My daughter says she has installing linphone on her mac todo list.  We will see.  Perhaps we will be able to add video to these chats.  She and I can now video chat on google, but neither of us seems to bother. Linphone looks like it would be easier and therefore used more often.

I see also on the linphone site that they have a codec for conference calling.   Must be downloaded and installed separately.  So perhaps someday I will look into that.   Apparently still experimental a bit or it seems it would already be integrated into linphone. Twinkle lets you add one caller (conference call of three) but it would be great to be able to have 4 or 5 on the phone at once.

Again, THANKS for putting linphone 3.5.2 in the repositories.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »

As you were.  PCMU and PCMA, together, are apparently not enough, at least on some phones.  So I will continue to experiment with codecs.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 08:40:41 am »

Attached is a screenshot showing my active audio codecs and their order.  This seems to work well, so far.  Who knows what will happen tomorrow. I will report if problems.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 04:03:17 pm »

I moved GSM down below PCMA but that didn't seem to help much, if at all.  Then I changed Options>Settings.Network-Settings>Transport by enabling "Send DTMFs as SIP info" and that seemed to help a lot.  At least this afternoon I have made numerous calls on linphone with no problems. 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: