VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:33:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dual boot w/existing Linux OS  (Read 4310 times)
bushy

« on: June 17, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

Currently I have Puppy Linux on a Thinkpad 2373 laptop, it is a single OS implementation.  I've been using the live CD for a while and like what I see.

Can both OS share my drive so I can dual boot to either Puppy or Vector? Are there any gotchas in this scenario?
syncdram

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:41:46 pm »

Though I'm not a Lilo user I have always used Grub, Grub 1 and Grub 2. I can only vouch for Vector Linux 7 Gold. If your installing gold edition watch carefully when you come to the screen "about installing the boot loader" you will be prompted with with choices to install Lilo, Grub or none at all. If your running Grub, choose none at all, then when Vector is finished installing boot into your normal Linux OS, and in terminal: Sudo -i and your password. From there type in "grub -update" without the quotes.

This will update Grub or Grub 2 and find your Vector partition. Just Reboot and choose your Vector partition.
syncdram

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:07 pm »

Check to make sure first puppy has Grub installed first. I believe it does. You can check by running grub -update. If grub is installed you should see in terminal things checking itself. If you error out its not installed and or lilo is installed.
bushy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »

Tried it as suggested and here's the output:

vl:$ grub -update
bash: grub: command not found

An install from the Live CD presents the option to install grub, is that correct?   

Is there any concern in doing the install affecting my current OS?

Is the install script smart enough to handle that or does it take skill on my part?  Being a noob, my skill is very limited, hence my concern.
syncdram

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »

Yes, Vector 7 Gold gives you those options as i said. If you choose to install grub, during the final installation, this does grub -update for you.  When you reboot you will see the grub boot screen and from here you simply scroll up or down and then press enter to choose your os you want to boot into. 

Lilo and Grub do the same things, giving you the option to multi boot. Whatever rout you decide to go its always a good idea to back up your system.  You can still if you feel uncomfortable continue asking your same question to those who use Lilo before making your decision.  I have never used Lilo and cannot give solid advise on that one.
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »

This is how you do it with lilo:

Code:
image = /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-3.4.0
     root = /dev/sda5
     label = VL64STD
  #   append = "resume=swap:/dev/sda7 splash=silent"
   #  initrd = /boot/initrd
     read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz
     root = /dev/sda1
     label = 1337
    append = "video=640x480"
   #  initrd = /boot/initrd
     read-only

"tamu" in the above example is a sub directory of /boot on sda1. To boot the linux distro on sda5 the kernel image of that distro must be included (along with its system map file) in /boot/tamu as well as in the /boot directory of sda5. Dont forget to run lilo and if you didnt set it up correctly lilo will be happy to give you nice specific warnings Smiley
EDIT: Keep in mind that you may need the initrd despite the fact that it is commented out in my example above. If for instance, you need some service or module to boot, i think the initrd might be necessary. Personally, i think its just easier to compile all that stuff in.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:27:47 pm by fogpipe » Logged
bushy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:59 am »

I had a little rough start but got both systems working through grub. 
During the install I wasn't asked to setup a root password.  I tried using vl and vector, neither worked.  How do I setup it up?
syncdram

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:52:28 am »

user password and root password are both part of the install processes on vl and vector. are you sure its just not a oversight on your installs? I have always been asked for both. Have not run into not being asked for a root password myself.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:47:15 am »

Try using a blank password (just press Enter).
bushy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »

I did not get prompted for a root password during the install.  I tried using vl, vector and blank w/o success.  W/o having root I cannot add a network printer.  If there isn't any other option I will have to blow away this install and try again.
bushy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »

I wonder if my install has some hiccups.  Yesterday when trying to install my network printer, using the GUI, the last step a window popped up asking for root password.  I just tried it and I was able to work through the entire process w/o being asked for root.

I did notice that if I want to user Super vsam I will need root.  I tried it and was able to get past w/o supplying a password.  I'm not sure why but I guess I am good ;-)

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: