VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: login screen bombs  (Read 1201 times)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
login screen bombs
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:37 pm »

So I loaded VL 7 on an old IBM, using a pretty-new large landscape-type screen and it seems to work fine.  However, the login screen as it loads into GUI, is quite a mess..A reddish screen with exploding bombs etc. It still allows username and password and seems to work fine after loging in.  But I don't like that screen with the bombs in it.   I am sure it means that something is wrong but so far everything seems to work.

Should I worry?
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

VectorHead

• www.jacovidis.com
Re: login screen bombs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:17 am »

I have a similar problem with my dual screen setup although I don't quite know what you mean by bombs.

The KDE splash screen has 4 or 5 animated icons that are placed in a crescent shape around the Vector moon when loading GUI. When I setup dual displays and booted into GUI the splash screen worked.  When I changed the default desktop to my right hand monitor the Vector graphic still appears on the left while the right monitor has a hashed background with animated icons displayed in rough patterns over the background.

Should you worry?  I don't know. But, if these really are pictures of bombs then this might be the start of a virus. We should name it the Great Vector Virus of 2012.  Oh what a story this would be for our grandchildren.   :D
-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!

macondo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:02:55 am »

Should I worry?

Worry if you haven't had a prostatic exam lately, worry if your cigars are not fresh, but gdm?
Uninstall that sucker, change the run level in /etc/inittab to: 3, reboot... voilĂ !
VL 7.0 Light - Barebones Install - Kernel 3.0.17
Debian Testing - Minimal Install - kernel 3.4.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-686
Desktop: Atom Processor || 1 GB RAM || 500 GB HD

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:44:45 am »

Guys, I mean "exploding bombs."  red big exploding bombs at the login screen.  Probably have to try macando's suggestion and reinstall (If I read it right).  But I am lazy.  booting into runlevel 3 works fine without a reload but operator would be confused and needs bootlevel 4.

I said "everything" seems to work.  A bit of  an exageration.  It only allows one user to enter (as root).  But, once past the log-in screen, it seems normal.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511