VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:48:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: login screen bombs  (Read 908 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: June 19, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »

So I loaded VL 7 on an old IBM, using a pretty-new large landscape-type screen and it seems to work fine.  However, the login screen as it loads into GUI, is quite a mess..A reddish screen with exploding bombs etc. It still allows username and password and seems to work fine after loging in.  But I don't like that screen with the bombs in it.   I am sure it means that something is wrong but so far everything seems to work.

Should I worry?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
VectorHead

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:17 am »

I have a similar problem with my dual screen setup although I don't quite know what you mean by bombs.

The KDE splash screen has 4 or 5 animated icons that are placed in a crescent shape around the Vector moon when loading GUI. When I setup dual displays and booted into GUI the splash screen worked.  When I changed the default desktop to my right hand monitor the Vector graphic still appears on the left while the right monitor has a hashed background with animated icons displayed in rough patterns over the background.

Should you worry?  I don't know. But, if these really are pictures of bombs then this might be the start of a virus. We should name it the Great Vector Virus of 2012.  Oh what a story this would be for our grandchildren.   Cheesy

-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!
macondo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:02:55 am »

Should I worry?

Worry if you haven't had a prostatic exam lately, worry if your cigars are not fresh, but gdm?
Uninstall that sucker, change the run level in /etc/inittab to: 3, reboot... voilĂ !

VL 7.0 Light - Barebones Install - Kernel 3.0.17
Debian Testing - Minimal Install - kernel 3.4.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-686
Desktop: Atom Processor || 1 GB RAM || 500 GB HD
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:45 am »

Guys, I mean "exploding bombs."  red big exploding bombs at the login screen.  Probably have to try macando's suggestion and reinstall (If I read it right).  But I am lazy.  booting into runlevel 3 works fine without a reload but operator would be confused and needs bootlevel 4.

I said "everything" seems to work.  A bit of  an exageration.  It only allows one user to enter (as root).  But, once past the log-in screen, it seems normal.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: