VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 06:00:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings to the community --verbose  (Read 1226 times)
Tino

« on: June 22, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

On 2011 31.12 i decided to dump windows. I was searching for basic newbie linux distros that would somehow ease the transition between linux and windows.

Lately i got the chance to set up an older desktop computer (5 years+) with 40bg hdd 760MB RAM (odd i know)
and a 2.8GHz processor, that consitently reports an imminent disk failure on boot (attribute #5 failed anyone?).
Booted fine however. As i got to the Windows XP Home edition screen i found myself almost totally lost and decided to search for a Linux OS.

However. a overly fancy linux was no my desire. For the time i was working with linux, the terminal is the first window i open. I do everything from a tty (or is it pty ?). So my aim was something, that focuses mainly on the interaction with a terminal. is resource friendly and has some basic DE for orientation.

In an Linux OS listing, i came across VL and decided to give it a try. I went for the VL7.0-Light
However my netbook does not have a CD-ROM. Luckily the .iso had everything needed to make a bootable
installation USB. (Even though I did spend some hours figuring out what syslinux needs to boot from a FAT)

During the installation process, I laughed several times. I loved the installation instructions  Wink
Surprised from the booting speed (literally like a minute or two), I suddenly find myself in a OS with a nice design without unnecessary software (like orca on fedora).

Needless to say I am very satisfied. It even installed GCC and NASM for me which is exactly what i need. VIM was also there so i went on and configured my .bashrc.
Love the themes as well Wink

Took around a day to get used to the OS and set it up for my needs.
It is very easy to understand and I love the way i can configure it with ease.

And thus I thought i just say a quick verbose hello and greet the community!
I also want to say thank you to the developers Smiley
Really great OS, soon will migrate my other computers to VL7 light as well Wink

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »

Welcome and happy vectoring Smiley
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:29:49 am »

Welcome to vl tino

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:03 am »

Welcome aboard.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:53 am »

Welcome Tino, glad to have you here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: