VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Greetings to the community --verbose  (Read 1430 times)

Tino

Greetings to the community --verbose
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:07:35 pm »

On 2011 31.12 i decided to dump windows. I was searching for basic newbie linux distros that would somehow ease the transition between linux and windows.

Lately i got the chance to set up an older desktop computer (5 years+) with 40bg hdd 760MB RAM (odd i know)
and a 2.8GHz processor, that consitently reports an imminent disk failure on boot (attribute #5 failed anyone?).
Booted fine however. As i got to the Windows XP Home edition screen i found myself almost totally lost and decided to search for a Linux OS.

However. a overly fancy linux was no my desire. For the time i was working with linux, the terminal is the first window i open. I do everything from a tty (or is it pty ?). So my aim was something, that focuses mainly on the interaction with a terminal. is resource friendly and has some basic DE for orientation.

In an Linux OS listing, i came across VL and decided to give it a try. I went for the VL7.0-Light
However my netbook does not have a CD-ROM. Luckily the .iso had everything needed to make a bootable
installation USB. (Even though I did spend some hours figuring out what syslinux needs to boot from a FAT)

During the installation process, I laughed several times. I loved the installation instructions  ;)
Surprised from the booting speed (literally like a minute or two), I suddenly find myself in a OS with a nice design without unnecessary software (like orca on fedora).

Needless to say I am very satisfied. It even installed GCC and NASM for me which is exactly what i need. VIM was also there so i went on and configured my .bashrc.
Love the themes as well ;)

Took around a day to get used to the OS and set it up for my needs.
It is very easy to understand and I love the way i can configure it with ease.

And thus I thought i just say a quick verbose hello and greet the community!
I also want to say thank you to the developers :)
Really great OS, soon will migrate my other computers to VL7 light as well ;)

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Greetings to the community --verbose
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »

Welcome and happy vectoring :)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:29:49 am »

Welcome to vl tino

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

Welcome aboard.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:11:53 am »

Welcome Tino, glad to have you here.