VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:51:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Editing  (Read 3319 times)
Linux4me

« on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:48 am »

A few of us who have made a change from the larger Linux distributions are all encountering the same issues when it comes to rendering videos using vectors supplied video editors. Can these issues be resolved? This is the first distribution we are trying that we faced such issues.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:03:01 pm »

Try an experiment and see if you get the same result as me.

Starting from the window you show in the picture above Click on the Advanced Tab...
Then click besides video settings.
You will see that beside Video Codec it says libtheora...change that to libx264

Then click export video.

Let me know what happens.

I ask this because I am trying to determine the problem.  Also, am interested if it provides a short-term solution.
If it works it seems to indicate that libtheora is somehow more to blame than libxvid is.

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Linux4me

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »

As you requested i to get the same result but this is not the format we want to use. There are also a few others codecs with the same errors.
Linux4me

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

It was also brought to my attention that audacity is affected as well and cannot edit audio.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:11 pm »

Well, start a thread for audacity as well.   And give as much info as you can.

When I did as I instructed you to do I could encode the video.  I wanted you to hit start after making the suggested change.
The error still showes, but the start comes out of being greyed out and is clickable.  When you do so it work.

Just curious.  What is it about this codec combination that makes it so valuable? 

syncdram

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:06:30 am »

Linux4me, Vector only supports open source codecs. thus the reason for all the missing codecs in vectors builds of ffmpeg. Might want to look at Ubuntu, for the robustness you seek. If you like Slackware, Arch also offers this robustness.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:36 am »

Don't get me wrong.  I'd like to add in what is missing.  I just need a little input to determine just what is missing. libtheora and xvid are both part of Vector.  And from my experiment, it seems libtheora is the problem, not xvid.
So the warning given by openshot needs more investigation.

It maybe that this is do to proprietary codecs, but that may not be an issue with future ffmpegs. (Since VL originates from Canada, and the laws are more understanding about the distribution of free for use codecs.)

However, the fix most likely will not be immediate if it is related to ffmpeg as introducing a new ffmpeg is a major undertaking involving the rebuilding of each application that has a dependency on it.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:32:11 am by stretchedthin » Logged

slump

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:03:01 am »

I've only been using vector 7.0 for 2 weeks, but have also run into the same issues being talked about.  I was about to post a similar question myself until i just happened to find this post. Though im a kdenlive user and haven't used openshot all that much due to the kdenlive features, its not a libtheora problem as commented earlier. Its is the use of and the packaging of ffmpeg itself for this distribution as a hole. I believe stretchthin commented on this. The problem is a big one for vector because if you do know how to compile packages and understand dependencies, every last program that's dependent on ffmpeg "will" have to be recompiled for use with a modified ffmpeg package that contains proprietary codecs.

Upstream Linux users who are leaving the big distro's due to Gnome and Unity such as myself and are looking for a replacement distro will most likely find this issue "very quickly". Example: Audacity users.  I tried pulling in a video off my android t-mobile htc amaze phone only to find kdnenlive can't run my mp4 native format of the phone missing a proprietary codec. Looking at vectors ffmpeg package, this codec along with many more are not event packaged into ffmpeg to "enable" them.  

"ffmpeg version 0.10 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Feb 22 2012 08:27:42 with gcc 4.5.2
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-nonfree --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-libass --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libgsm --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --enable-memalign-hack --enable-pthreads --enable-x11grab --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-shared --enable-static --disable-debug --extra-cflags='-I/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/include -DRUNTIME_CPUDETECT' --extra-ldflags='-L/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lusb'"

Thats it in a nut shell, I will say Vector 7.0 is a great offering for a replacement distribution. I believe your package manager gslapt? i think im saying this right is well put together but seems young yet with "all" due respect.  Here is a 30 miniute video link to help understand Vanilla Distrobutions,  the slackware way vs arch way and debian etc:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSjUaHjXIQ

Maybe with the next release or a  package offering for ffmpeg this could be changed because frankly with the offering of KDE Vector by far can be used as a replacement from the Upstream Distributions.

Just something to think about now that Ubuntu has dropped Grub2 for a key code so they can duel boot with Windows.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:42:14 am by slump » Logged
Linux4me

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:23 am »

Slump, i agree, just compiled and install winff from source and installed, not listed in vectors repo, very surprised at this one beings it such a widely used ffmpeg front end gui in the upstream distributions,  ran a test .mov can't convert to xvid, unknown codec. checked my version of ffmpeg in terminal and confirmed your findings.
slump

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27:29 am »

Just tracked down the slackbuild here in vector of the installed ffmpeg and opened it up in geany.  FFmpeg was not built with the missing codecs. Game over. Hi word of caution,  If you try to rebuild ffmpeg to include all the proprietary codecs and replace it with your new build all your multimedia dependent software is broken. This would be a different outcome if and only if ffmpeg was built with these codecs but "dissabled" that way you can just enable through your terminal. Not the case here. Only FIX for this is a new release of Vector from its developers. I researched Vectors release cycles, 2 years it seems.
Linux4me

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »

Slump,just finished watching your link to the slack builds. Now I understand why.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »

Just tracked down the slackbuild here in vector of the installed ffmpeg and opened it up in geany.  FFmpeg was not built with the missing codecs. Game over. Hi word of caution,  If you try to rebuild ffmpeg to include all the proprietary codecs and replace it with your new build all your multimedia dependent software is broken. This would be a different outcome if and only if ffmpeg was built with these codecs but "dissabled" that way you can just enable through your terminal. Not the case here. Only FIX for this is a new release of Vector from its developers. I researched Vectors release cycles, 2 years it seems.

You can find the slackbuild for ffmpeg 0.10here...
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/source/alien/l/ffmpeg/0.10/

Maybe you can help me find what is missing.  I can not.

Here is the code from that slackbuild.
Code:
./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --shlibdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  ${USE_PATENTED} \
  --enable-gpl \
  --enable-version3 \
  --enable-postproc \
  --enable-avfilter \
  --enable-libass \
  --enable-libdc1394 \
  --enable-libgsm \
  --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
  --enable-libopencore-amrwb \
  --enable-librtmp \
  --enable-libschroedinger \
  --enable-xvid \
  --enable-libspeex \
  --enable-libtheora \
  --enable-libv4l2 \
  --enable-libvo-amrwbenc \
  --enable-libvpx \
  --enable-libx264 \
  --enable-runtime-cpudetect \
  --enable-vaapi \
  --disable-vdpau \
  --enable-memalign-hack \
  --enable-pthreads \
  --enable-x11grab \
  --enable-bzlib \
  --enable-zlib \
  --enable-shared \
  --enable-static \
  --disable-debug \
  $ARCHOPTS \
  --extra-cflags="-I$FFMPEGDEPSDIR/usr/include -DRUNTIME_CPUDETECT" \
  --extra-ldflags="-L$FFMPEGDEPSDIR/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lusb" \

Note USE_PATENTED does equal yes in this slackbuild and that triggers this...
if [ "${USE_PATENTS}" == "YES" ]; then
  USE_PATENTED="--enable-libmp3lame \
                --enable-libfaac \
                --enable-libvo-aacenc \
                --enable-nonfree"
                # to be added once I get it to work: --enable-libaacplus \
else

So enclude these as enabled as well.

I looked through it and found every enabled option that was listed by slump in his earlier post quoted here...

Code:
"ffmpeg version 0.10 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Feb 22 2012 08:27:42 with gcc 4.5.2
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-nonfree --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-libass --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libgsm --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --enable-memalign-hack --enable-pthreads --enable-x11grab --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-shared --enable-static --disable-debug --extra-cflags='-I/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/include -DRUNTIME_CPUDETECT' --extra-ldflags='-L/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lusb'"

I'm thinking if we can rebuild version 0.10 with whatever codecs are found to be missing, and not try to up to a new version we can put in a new ffmpeg that will be accepted by the multimedia apps without being rebuilt.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:14:59 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

slump

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »

Stretchedthin, linux4me attached a good example with his screen shot.  There are users who use the hole gamut of rendering options for many reasons. A workaround for something else, or for uploading reasons, or just personal preferences.  Look at his example,  to use a video editor such as openshot or kdenlive coming from a main stream distribution having all rendering options available and then installing the same software here in Vector only to find a good 1/3 of the rendering options unavailable just needs to be brought to the developers attention. I'm not trying to stur up any trouble please don't take my remarks the wrong way but Vector along with every other distribution will be looked at as a replacement OS, I'm not even the tip of the iceberg that will be trickling down. Its bad up top. But i can tell you when vector is looked at video editing is one of the top 5 things there going to be looking for along with ipod and smart phone support. Oh and that reminds me, I'm just noting here, my ipod gen 4 does not mount.

I'm using vector not because of distrowatch but because I've been seeing in our forums users suggesting Vector as a alternative. To be honest i never heard of Vector before. I'm using GG right now Duel booting replacement distros along with vector. There is going to be a lot of consumer shopping,is vectors shelf's stocked and ready?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:23:25 pm »

@slump
I don't think your stirring up trouble.  I think you are pointing out an obvious opportunity for improvement.    All I'm saying is I don't see where we are missing an enabled codec from the example you gave, compared to what was enabled in our build.

I think what I'll try to do is render a video directly in ffmpeg at the command line, using the codec combo from the screenshot.  If it works than ffmpeg is not the problem but something else is.

FWIW, I hope you stick with Vector a long time, and keep the observations comming.  Just sometimes inorder to make the improvements you seek, we need more information.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »

ok, found this...
Re: Unknown encoder 'libxvid' - ffmpeg error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonbc View Post
Code:

Unknown encoder 'libxvid'

You get this message because ffmpeg has not been compiled with --enable-libxvid. The compile guide used to include this, but I thought it was superfluous and removed it because ffmpeg includes a native encoder that is probably as good or better. I didn't think about WinFF when I decided to remove it.

You have several options:
A. Change the WinFF preset to use -vcodec mpeg4 instead of -vcodec libxvid.

B. Remove your compiled ffmpeg and use the version from the repository (or via Medibuntu if you like). This should work with WinFF.

C. Use ffmpeg directly. The following commands do the same thing, but use different syntax depending on your ffmpeg version. I don't keep up with the repository "ffmpeg" syntax anymore, so I'm not sure what works for it (if you decide to use repo ffmpeg and use ffmpeg directly). If one command doesn't work then try the other. I don't know what WinFF preset you tried, but this might achieve something similar. Lower qscale and aq values create a higher quality output.

Older syntax (repository ffmpeg might still use this):
Code:

from here...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1956978

I am currently trying to build ffmpeg 0.10 with libxvid enabled.

In the meantime could somebody experiment as the post suggested and try to use -vcodec mpeg4 instead of -vcodec libxvid
i.e. At the command line.
ffmpeg -i ./videoin.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 ./video0ut.mp4
or under Advanced tab "Video Settings" in Openshot
choose video codec mpeg4 with video format mp4

I'm curious if that will work as a substitution for your devices as the post above mentioned.

I'd be curious is this does work as a codec for you in your android device

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: