VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:59:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Editing  (Read 3245 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »

Well first of all thanks for the prodding.  Guess I was content with ffmpeg because it suited all my purposes.

Turns out we were missing two configuration options in ffmpeg 0.10 --enable-libvorbis \ and --enable-libxvid \

In my defence, I had the same selection enabled that slump posted.  I believe that list is right from ffmpegs site.

So here is the good news. 
I have rebuilt ffmpeg as ffmpeg-0.10.i586-5vl70 .txz  (the only difference is the build number [5])

I have tested it against openshot, kdenlive and qx11grab.  Works great as a drop in replacement.  Since the source version remained the same, nothing will have to be rebuilt against it, but just in case I'm putting it in testing until I hear back from you guys.

Ken (aka stretchedthin)

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Linux4me

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 03:08:36 am »

Stretchtedthin, i'll give it a go mate, but i'm unfamiliar with glsapt. i'm guessing i have to hit the update button, yes when i hover over the update button this seems to do just that. let me give it a go. ok ffmpeg-0.10.i586-5vl70 .txz not showing up, wait if its like synaptic i have to add testing repository? hold on let me did a little deeper. ok glsapt is very easy to understand, pref's, sources. I ticked the first testing and it required updating, i updated searched for package ffmpeg-0.10.i586-5vl70 .txz but its not showing up. I noticed a lot of other testing sources which one is it in mate?
Linux4me

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 03:12:04 am »

stretchthin, found it, i just typed in ffmpeg and now see new version number. giving it a go
Linux4me

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 03:34:39 am »

stretchedthin, the new ffmpeg is working. I also see all the rendering options are now available in openshot. i will post again in a few days, let all know how things are going. Customer service is very nice here. thanks mate.
slump

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 05:08:31 am »

Stretchedthin, the ffmpeg slackbuild i was referencing to was the actual build here within Vector itself. I did a find and or locate in terminal for ffmpeg to see the actual installed build and not the build from ffmpegs site. Standard practice concerning ffmpeg and proprietary codecs in the more larger distributions concerning end users are 1 of 2 ways. 1. The build packages are built with all the bells and whistles leaving  proprietary, copyrighted disabled by default thus leaving end user the option to enable or 2. 3rd party site ready for download at users discretion. Ubuntu users after installing ubuntu, one of the "very" first things done is download and install all restricted codecs that "is" available in the repositories . All ubuntu users know that this is just part of the 'install" process. Otherwise ubuntu is left lying on its back lifeless. This holds true with every flavor of ubuntu. If your running a ubuntu test bed machine in synaptic just type in restricted  in the search box to install all restricted codecs and more all in one package. Other larger distributions disable these codecs in there structure builds and the end user just simply googlefu's for help to enable through terminal command. Either way from both stand points of distributor and end user on the legal front  falls within good standings of the foss legal requirements.

I did some catching up here in this post, first and foremost i second what linux4me said " good costumer service"  took me a bit to figure out the gslapt way, less than 10 minutes, but installed the new ffmpeg build.  Looked to me as if things were downgrading at first i but see its a personality trait. From what i see thus far the new ffmpeg build is a winner. Very nice job. Will post back in a bit.

syncdram

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 05:42:47 am »

Hey Stretch! what a good post! I have a couple of questions for ya before i take the plunge myself. Ok here goes... as you know i like the option of having both openshot and kdenlive installed and having the option of using either or of my choice. You worked with me in the past on this issue and you built a ffmpeg package so that 2 specific "openshot and kdenlive" version numbers will run together. Since that time i have unistalled kdenlive and i'm only running the newest openshot from Vectors main repo's her in Vector. I myself have been switching back and forth between Ubuntu and Vector due to the missing codecs issues. But i'm very anxious to stay in Vector.

Now here we go ready?..... If i go into testing and upgrade to your new ffmpeg build, then reinstall kdenlive will i have issues of one or both loading up like we had in the past?  can you test for me before i due this?  The reason why is I'm no longer in test mode with Vector and its now a full time production machine with all files moved over into vector. I just don't feel like braking this beast again and reinstalling.....lol. If you can due this for me let me know what version numbers work with your new ffmpeg.  I'm very encouraged from what has taken place in this post.

Ken

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 07:12:49 am »

New to gslapt, here is a bit of a tutorial I did a while back.
Glapt package manager.

Forgot to mention. That I've only done the 32bit build at the moment.  I will do this as well for 64bit vector in the next day or so.

@syncdram.  Thought you would like the new ffmpeg.  You have been trying to get me to look at this for a while, sorry till this thread was not sure where to start.

I have kdenlive 0.9 and openshot 1.4.2 installed on my working system, and both seem to be working fine side by side for me.

For testing purposes and my own piece of mind I run virtualbox with a testing install of VL in there.  I run tricky stuff there first before doing the same on my working system.  You may wish to do the same.
Here is an old old tut I did on Virtualbox.  (I really need to update this) The basics are all the same though, just go for a current version number....
VirtualBox

syncdram

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 07:47:12 am »

Stretch,....... wait for it......wait for it...........it all works! i just had to install dvdauthor for initial setup in kden after that i re-ran kden setup and all is fine. LOL.....Now you just saved me the hassle and trip of getting through the Canadian border (customs)  with my tower, keyboard, mouse and monitor to sit this thing down in front of you so you wouldn't think i was crazy!.....LOL. Boy i'll tell ya, your gonna put me in the ground before my time!...... LOL....Both Openshot and Kdenlive are running with your new ffmpeg build. Nice work my friend. I'll give both a workout and will let you know if i have any issues.

Ken
Linux4me

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:40 am »

goday  mates, i've used openshot  to make 4 movies using the missing codecs with the new ffmpeg release in turn are now available. no complaints. openshot is running smooth. compared to fedora the rendering time seems 2 times faster.

cheers.
slump

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:00 am »

No "hickups" running good.    Wink
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:23 am »

OK, looks good.

I am deleting the ffmpeg build #1 out of extra repository and moving the new build #5, of ffmpeg version 0.10 into extra.

That way anybody new will just get the good ffmpeg and not have these issues.

Thanks for testing.  You may want to deactivate the testing repo, now that your done.  Just in case you do a system wide upgrade, it's a good precaution to have testing disabled for regular use.

Thanks again.  Think we now have a better VL because of this thread.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: