VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 03:55:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Installer Wiped Out My Files, But...  (Read 867 times)
tux_addict

« on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:59 am »

I installed Vector Linux STD Gold 7.0 a few days ago using the non-graphical installer. When the installation was completed, I logged in... and discovered that the installer had wiped all the files on the Desktop! I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, since fortunately I'd backed up the most critical files, but I still lost a lot of useful data. I think it would be very good if there could be a warning saying that everything on the Desktop will be erased.
All in all, however, I'm having a good experience with Vector and the XFCE environment. I totally love the Cairo dock and the whole look and feel of the distro. The speed is also impressive even on my geriatric and underpowered machine. Just add a reminder in the installer to move or backup files next time, please, just as you remind us (3 times, no less!) not to format any partitions with important data on them. Despite the incident with my data, I haven't felt this good about a distro since I first used Mepis many years ago! Congratulations, guys! Go Canada!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:45:27 am by tux_addict » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:54 am »

Did files outside your Desktop survive?
It is possible your files are still intact but in a different location.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:13:01 am »

It is not totally clear to me at least whether you were upgrading from an earlier VL or not.  I also can't tell for sure whether you are dual booting.  But if we assume from "geriatric and underpowered" that you were not, that your only OS is VL7 STD, then it seems that you may prevent this in the future by partitioning your hard drive into root, home and swap partitions, installing VL in the root partition, and keeping your files in the home partition.  If you don't format home during an install, VL should leave those files alone.  There is an option, if I recall correctly, when installing VL 7, to import the settings from your old OS.  I don't know if that works if the old OS is not VL6, but it worked well for me when I upgraded from VL6 to VL 7. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: