VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 06:53:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Driver for AX226 Wimax USB modem by ZTE  (Read 11843 times)
tunit

« on: July 10, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »

Hello Everyone, it feels great to be part of the VL community. I am very new to VL, this being only my second day using VL and it is my second linux distro after damn small linux... I am absolutely in love with VL, it is a fast, lightweight, less resource-intensive, stable and secure OS with killer looks. However, me and many other users like me in my country use this AX226 wimax usb modem to get online. I think I will need some driver for my modem that I can compile with VL which will allow me to use it in VL, right now I get online using Vista.

I have digged up from the net a driver for this modem but it compiles with fedora 16, apparently. I was wondering if anyone here can help make one for VL with little tweaking of this driver here and there. Here's the link:

http://code.google.com/p/wimaxcmgui/downloads/detail?name=source_bcm_wimax.tar.gz&can=2&q=  

Hope that someone kind would help out. It would be great to be online from VL rather than Vista. Thanks a lot and best wishes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:17:15 pm by tunit » Logged

Vector 7 GG xfce 4 dual-booted with windows vista on Toshiba Satellite L300 intel celeron 2 GHz RAM 1 GB Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:35 am »

what kernel are you using there?
tunit

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »

I'm using VL 7 standard Gold so the kernel is Linux Kernel 3.0.8.

oh I've found another link with linux drivers for this wimax usb modem, I'll try and see if I can use any of these for VL...I don't know how though, I'll start with vasmcc..

link: http://code.google.com/p/bcm-wimax/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:22:28 pm by tunit » Logged

Vector 7 GG xfce 4 dual-booted with windows vista on Toshiba Satellite L300 intel celeron 2 GHz RAM 1 GB Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
tunit

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

Ok, one of the downloads has three .sh files which I could only run (the option build is disabled) using Geany, but it exits with the code 126 saying permission denied. I was working as root, still this message.. I am confused as I am totally inexperienced in this thing.. they haven't included any readme either.. I have a feeling if I can run these three .sh files somehow, I can resolve this..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:25:44 pm by tunit » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:14 pm »

download this: http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/kernels/3.0.8-1vl70/bcm_wimax-0.1_3.0.8-x86-1vl70.txz

use "installpkg bcm_wimax-0.1_3.0.8-x86-1vl70.txz" as root to install it
then run "depmod -aq"
and "modprobe bcm_wimax"
tunit

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:59 am »

download this: http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/kernels/3.0.8-1vl70/bcm_wimax-0.1_3.0.8-x86-1vl70.txz

use "installpkg bcm_wimax-0.1_3.0.8-x86-1vl70.txz" as root to install it
then run "depmod -aq"
and "modprobe bcm_wimax"

All the commands run fine until modprobe bcm_wimax, in which case the cursor does not return back to root prompt.

My attempt with the .sh files have failed as well.. I was able to run those and produce a .conf file.. but the install failed to build a server and therefore I think the command to run the .conf file isn't working. I've checked with the forum of the developers and they are saying that I have to make a driver from the sources given, their auto installer i.e. the .sh files were only meant to run on ubuntu 10.4 LTS and  Mint Isadora 9. So I guess until someone (more technical than me) makes the driver for it in VL, I cannot use this modem to get online from VL.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:55 am »

The pkg you installed above was the VL driver.
running "modprobe bcm_wimax" inserts the driver into the kernel. I am not sure why that would fail, unless there is another driver trying to run your modem.
try rebooting with the modem unplugged then modprobe the driver and then plug in the modem.
tunit

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 05:55:37 am »

The pkg you installed above was the VL driver.
running "modprobe bcm_wimax" inserts the driver into the kernel. I am not sure why that would fail, unless there is another driver trying to run your modem.
try rebooting with the modem unplugged then modprobe the driver and then plug in the modem.

Hey thanks I've tried that and modprobe succeeded. But what do I do now? How do I type in my username and password to connect? In the wicd program there are no wireless device or network visible. Do I have to use command line for this?

tunit

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

I've checked out the Howto on wireless setup and have gone upto this-
vector:/~
root:# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     No scan results

now I cannot go forward as there are no ESSID in scan results. I have added alias wlan0 to bcm_wimax in modprobe.conf but could not find ifplugd anywhere, but since I am using VL7 I don't need to change ifplugd right? Please let me know what you think.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:55 am »

try downloading this http://wimaxcmgui.googlecode.com/files/wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg
and run it "chmod +x wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg" and "./wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg"
then "service wimax start" and finally "wimaxcmgui"
tunit

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:20:44 pm »

try downloading this http://wimaxcmgui.googlecode.com/files/wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg
and run it "chmod +x wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg" and "./wimaxcmgui-1.0.0-no-fw-cert-cfg"
then "service wimax start" and finally "wimaxcmgui"

The connection manager launches but it says "No device" that is my usb modem is not being detected, I've tried unplugging it and rebooting my pc, with no improvement. This is quite strange because after lsusb, the device does show up on one of my usb ports-

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:bccd ONDA Communication S.p.A.

Another thing, sometimes VL7 loader freezes while displaying messsage "loading udev" during which the usb modem light blinks a few times and does not recover until a hard boot.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »

post the output of dmesg that pertains to your hardware. you may need firmware.
tunit

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »

Yay! I've managed to connect using the following-

changed the device id of my modem so it could be used for linux using this software: http://wimaxcmgui.googlecode.com/files/beceem-control-panel.exe

and then used this connection manager to create user account and then connect:
http://wimaxcmgui.googlecode.com/files/banglalion-wimax-for-linux-1.0.0-ax226-wu216

BUT!! I cannot browse internet although I'm connected! Does this has anything to do with dhcp? I think we are very close to solving this one. Please help.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

make sure you have an ip address, you can check with ifconfig
make sure you have a dns server in /etc/resolv.conf
tunit

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »

make sure you have an ip address, you can check with ifconfig
make sure you have a dns server in /etc/resolv.conf

That's the problem. I am not getting an IP... the gui providers said that with some distros it could take a while for the ip to load..and I should click the IP text in the gui to reload ip but it does not work, I've clicked on it a lot of times. So without IP I am being disconnected after every few minutes. Let me try the ifconfig and dns server thing now.. brb.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: