VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:36:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't print with HP Deskjet 640C  (Read 2593 times)
slsusnr

« on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:02 pm »

I like tinkering, but don't want to waste tooooo much time.  The basics: I'm new to VL and Linux; using VL 7 Standard Edition;  HP Deskjet 640C works fine with my 10- year old Windows XP laptop; set up in CUPS, or at least seems to be; parallel port.

When I try to print anything (test pattern or Abiword document), I get "There was a problem sending document 'Test Page' (job 1)  [or 6 or whatever] to the printer."  I also notice "Printer State: Stopped - /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed."

Also, the printer does not stay Enabled.

I don't know what other info anyone might need.  I'd like to begin using my big box rather than my laptop as my "daily computer" because [believe it or not] it's more convenient in my case.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »

Try going to http://localhost:631 and seeing what you can do there.  If you don't see the CUPS printer configuration page, then use Gslapt to install cups.  Also try installing hplip.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
slsusnr

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:10 am »

Thanks for that.  CUPS is installed.  Deleted the printer and then went to Localhost:631/admin.  Clicked on "Find new painters" and got "No printers found."  The printer is turned on and connected to the computer.  Sorry to be such an amateur, but I'm taking notes!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »

Do you have hplip installed?  It's available in Gslapt.  hplip does support your printer (see this link).  With it installed, I imagine that you should be able to set up the printer via cups.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:25:27 am »

you probably need to start the parallel service also
"chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel" and "/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel start" should do it
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:43 am »

you probably need to start the parallel service also
"chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel" and "/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel start" should do it
Do this as root user (which is similar to administrator user in Windows).  Via the terminal, type "su" (without quotes), it'll ask for your root password, and then you'll be entering commands as root.  Then just follow what uelsk8s suggested.

slsusnr

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:29 pm »

I tried the two commands suggested and got the following:

vector://home/scott
root:# chmod+x/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel
bash: chmod+x/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel: No such file or directory
root:# /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel start
bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel: Permission denied

I can't imagine this is a hardware problem, but for what it's worth, this computer's hard drive went south and I replaced it.  That's when I went to Linux.  Prior to that, it was working fine and printing to an aged Canon printer just fine. 

Thanks for your help and time.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:53 pm »

slsusnr

Not sure I can help much here.  I had a laserjet 6 plus (if I recall) that I never could get to print after switch to VL 7, though it printed fine in VL6. 

What I would do, before giving up, is to go to vasm>services>srvset>4 and make sure cups is running.

Then I would go to vasm>services>hwset and make sure my parallel port was turned on (assuming that is the port you use)

Then, after making sure the printer was on and connected, I would go to vasm>services>cupsweb>administration>Find new printers and see if it recognized your printer.

If not, I would use the printer for target practice. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »

I tried the two commands suggested and got the following:

root:# chmod+x/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel
bash: chmod+x/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel: No such file or directory
root:# /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel start
bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel: Permission denied

I can't imagine this is a hardware problem, but for what it's worth, this computer's hard drive went south and I replaced it.  That's when I went to Linux.  Prior to that, it was working fine and printing to an aged Canon printer just fine.  

Thanks for your help and time.

It appears you entered the first command wrong.
What you entered:
Code:
chmod+x/etc/rc.d/rc.parallel
What you should have entered:
Code:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.parallel

"chmod" is used to change the permissions or mode of a file.  "+x" makes the file executable.  Because you did not successfully make it executable due to incorrectly typing the first command, it then stated you could not start it.

Note the difference between what you should have written and what you did enter.  It should be written with a space after "chmod" and then a space after "+x" (rather than clumped together).  By not putting in the spaces, you've basically typed what appears to the computer as a file name rather than a command (and thus you get the feedback "No such file or directory".)  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:49:56 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

slsusnr

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 07:15:23 am »

Guess I need to close this out.  The printer's good, and works fine in Windows XP, so it won't be a target.  I'll just have to figure this one out in due time.  Thank you for your all your help.  It's much appreciated!
slsusnr
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »

It appears you entered the first command wrong.
[here is] what you should have entered: [snip]

Note the difference between ...[explanation blah blah blah]

Guess I need to close this out.  [..]  I'll just have to figure this one out in due time.  Thank you for your all your help.  It's much appreciated!
slsusnr

It is time for me to have a quiet glass of wine.

slsusnr

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »

Mark,
    I swear I did not see your comment on entering commands correctly, or I would not have closed this out without stating the result.  I just now did go in and make sure they were typed in correctly, with the same result.  Nothing has changed.  And to repeat, I appreciate your help.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »

It's difficult to get parallel port printers working sometimes.  Do you have hplip installed?  From the table on the hplip site, it appears that this printer is not well supported in Slackware (and thus not well supported in Vector.)  From the table, it appears your best bet is either Ubuntu, Debian, or Suse Linux for getting your HP Deskject 640C working.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:20:16 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

slsusnr

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:43 am »

Update.  IT WORKS!!! 
It was a hardware problem after all.  I finally unplugged the connector on the back of the printer and plugged it back in again, and DANG, she printed.  I never suspected this, because as I had related earlier, I was able to plug my laptop up to it and it printed fine.  Very strange, but it's an older printer and maybe like old folks, it's arthritic and the weather affects it, like bad knees or something.  (Seriously, the connecter probably hasn't been off in probably 10 years and there might have been a tiny amount of corrosion present.)  Anyway, problem solved and lesson learned:  check the really basic stuff right at the outset.

Thanks again.  I've been reading some of the other forum items to educate myself and it's obvious that you folks really try hard.      Scott

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: