VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 04:30:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VLocity 64-7.0 bug reports  (Read 14641 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: July 14, 2012, 08:13:10 am »

Please post feedback here.

caieng

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »

Hi uelsk8s,

Thanks very much for this release.  I am in the process right now, of installing it, on one of my older computers.  So far, no problems.

I have one small issue with the decision re: failure to include VLC, and inclusion, instead of junky stuff, but, that's my opinion, not a bug.

I am writing this, now, instead of waiting until I complete the installation, because of a curious error, I discovered, using the same cdrom, i.e. same version, no different in any way from what I am currently installing, effortlessly on my "older 64 bit computer", namely, the complete inability to boot with my newest machine.

So, what is the newest machine, and then, maybe we can figure out, why this version, which seems to be installing perfectly, on an older 64 bit device, will not boot.

oh, just a minute, wow, is that fast!  It has already completely installed.  Marvelous.  Very fast.

Back now to the machine that will not boot this same, precisely the same, cdrom.  It is not similar, not a duplicate.  It is the very same cdrom that installs, at least up to the initial reboot, in my older 64 bit apparatus.  I am holding up that installation, to write this, as the newer machine issue, seems to me to be more important than the problem I am having with the older architecture.

new machine:
motherboard:  biostar tz77b, version 5.0, intel chipset z77, cpu G630T @ 2.3 GHz, not overclocked
memory Fujitsu 8 GB, DDR 3 1600 MHz Dual channel

Another Linux version installs just fine, and runs very well, VLC installed by default, accepts single letter user name, and autologin enabled effortlessly, download and installation of opera very smooth:

Linux kernel 3.2.0-2-amd64

So, I think that there is nothing wrong with the motherboard.  It runs XP, no problem and it runs 64 bit Linux, no problem.

So, that's the news.
Meantime, back at the installation that does proceed, very quickly, looks like I may have an issue there, but, I doubt it is a problem with the distro, I suspect it is a design issue.  I refuse to use more than one letter for user name or password, and I think that probably caused the crash, because it starts out, on reboot, in good shape (I am referring now, to the installation on the older 64 bit architecture.)

Aha, here's an error message, on rebooting this older 64 bit architecture:  Crashed because:  "Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.

Gosh, I doubt that has anything to do with me, but, maybe it does. 

Well, I will investigate this matter further.  TheVLocity screen does appear, so,  it gets started ok....then these two error messages appear:  "Couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)."

Hmm.  This is an older machine, an e5200 @2.5 GHz, not overclocked with DDR2 667 2GBytes.  It works fine, with all kinds of 64 bit linux.

CAI ENG

fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:19 am »

Someone needs to update the top level README in the iso. It reads:
VLocity Linux Standard ver 6.0
===============================================

Congratulation for having this VLocity Linux release.

VLocityLINUX is a small, fast, Linux operating system for Intel, AMD and x86 compatible systems, based on one of the original Linux distributions, Slackware. The enormously popular Slackware is the true 'Unix' of Linux distributions and is used by major corporations, universities and home users alike. Its popularity stems from the fact that it is a robust, versatile and almost unbreakable system. We have produced a bloat free, easy to install, configure and maintain Slackware based system that is second to none. We include automatic hardware configuration, unique administration tools and easy package management via the Gslapt/slapt-get system. We are also known as the fastest non-source distro on the planet!

Some highlights on this particular VL Standard release are:

* New GUI Installer
  - M0eLnx finished the gui installer project that was started by joe1962
  -

* Optimized Linux kernel 2.6.27.10:

There may be other errors. Thats as far as i got before realizing that i wasnt likely to get much good info from it.

OK never mind Smiley Looking in the docs dir on the cd burned from the iso, so much is out of date that the above is minor.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:29:31 am by fogpipe » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:22 am »

Don't know what changed between RC2 and Final, but I'm having all sorts of issues getting it to run properly.

First indication that there's an issue is during bootup and the avahidnsconfd module fails to load. Once logged in, it's apparent that absolutely no Internet devices were detected. ifconfig /all results in no devices being displayed.

Will monkey around with it some more later this afternoon, but it is rather disappointing that it seems to have taken a few steps backwards between RC2 and the final version. Sad

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:35:40 am »

If you are looking for vlc, the alien bob slackbuild vlc-2.0.2-x86_64-1alien.txz seems to work fine.
You can find it at: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg64/13.37/
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:44:50 am »

If you are looking for vlc, the alien bob slackbuild vlc-2.0.2-x86_64-1alien.txz seems to work fine.
You can find it at: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg64/13.37/

EDIT: just noticed that there is one in gslapt as well, so nevermind Smiley
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

OK. Was able to get things running as far as wireless is concerned.

avahidnsconfd still refuses to run, but that's no biggey.

After running vasm again, ifconfig and iwconfig saw the Internet devices but wicd was still showing no available networks. Checked the settings, and it wasn't picking up wlan0. Added that and was able to see the neighborhood networks and log into the home network.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »

Was Cairo-Dock removed from the final version? Can't seem to find it anywhere in the menus.  Huh

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »

yes cairo dock was removed, unfortunately everything keeps getting bigger.

you can find it in gslapt.
commiecam

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:12:32 am »

Posted elsewhere before I found the bug reports area:

Yesterday I downloaded, burned and installed the 64 bit Vector Linux for the first time.  The image that I used was:

VL64-7.0-STD-FINAL.iso

The machine was a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion DV2610US laptop. that has successfully run everything from (YUK!) Vista to QNX Neutrino to PC-BSD, including the 32 bit version of VL7.0.  The full system installation went smoothly until the point where the root password s asked for  I typed in and retyped the password but the "Next" button remained dim and could not be clicked on.  Both the back and quit buttons worked.

A reboot produced console screen but no X-windows and the root password was not needed to log in.  I did a repeat install with the same result ten another with a freshly burned disk with the same result.

Has anyone else ad this problem?  A search of the forum didn't find one.

Thanks,
Ed  (Linux since kernel 0.93)
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:13 am »

Until Slack... 14.0 is released, shouldn't this edition be postponed and repackaged with the 14.0 and the 3.4 kernel?

The rest of the kernels seem to exhibit regression.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:22:57 pm by prince » Logged
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:05 am »

I installed the "gramps" application, and several of my desktop icons stopped functioning, I then rebooted my computer, and when it got to the point where I was supposed to log on, an error window pops up saying "There was an error loading the theme "VLocity".
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:04 am »

I installed the "gramps" application, and several of my desktop icons stopped functioning, I then rebooted my computer, and when it got to the point where I was supposed to log on, an error window pops up saying "There was an error loading the theme "VLocity".
to fix this run "update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/"  as root

we will get the gramps pkg fixed.
TonyH9904

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

I've been running the 64bit version for about one week now, so far I think I like it. No major problems, except the NTP program was missing, or maybe it has been removed from Slackware, I don't know. Every reboot would bring up a time-change on the computer, but I found the fix for that a couple of days ago. Involves copying the ntp from another distro, Arch-I believe, and setting it executable. Boy was I happy I found that fix!  I love this new XFCE, I quit using KDE several revisions back when it got so big and bloated (but I sure miss K3B out of KDE). Haven't tried burning any cd/dvds with it yet, I find brasero to be problematic in the debian distro I was using, but usually did work. VLocity has  a nice feel and look, its quick and I intend to make it my main distro.
 I have a self-built desktop with Athlon XP (??4200) with about 4g ram, circa Dec 2007. It has yet to blow up, so I am not looking to build another box any time soon!  Congrats to the developers, very nice distro. Printing works out of the box too, with no extra packages to load (HP LAserjet1200).
edit:  Correction= just rebooted, and system time reverted to 5hrs off again. Need a fix for this if anybody can help. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:42:28 pm by TonyH9904 » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »

TonyH9904, try using vasm --> SUPER --> HARDWARE --> ZONESET
and change local time to UTC time.
Then go to DATESET (in vasm) and set the date and time again.

**note vasm may be vasm-legacy in 64bit vector.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: