VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 12:51:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] want to start Notion tiling window manager  (Read 1711 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »

Hello.  I obtained the source for Notion, a tiling window manager similar to Ion3 (or ratpoison), but I can't figure out how to start it.  The desktop manager does not list it as a choice (I think I'm using gdm, since it's installed).  Notion uses lua to run.

Is there a conf file somewhere for the desktop/display manager that I can edit to give me the choice of Notion?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:56:22 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
macondo

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:52:32 am »

1. Uninstall GDM
2. edit /etc/inittab and change the run level to 3.
3. reboot
4. when you come back to the console, as user, edit your .xinitrc and put at the bottom: exec notion
5. save/exit
6. startx <Enter>
voilà! you should be inside the X with Notion.

VL 7.0 Light - Barebones Install - Kernel 3.0.17
Debian Testing - Minimal Install - kernel 3.4.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-686
Desktop: Atom Processor || 1 GB RAM || 500 GB HD
tariqashiq

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:31:39 am »

For desktop interfaces, window management has always been a problem needing a solution. From the superbar and Aero features of Windows 7, to the Mission Control paradigm of OS X, there is no lack of approaches to window management. Linux have always been the most hackable and creative of all, and a new app called Notion is just one of the many implementations in the Linux ecosystem that tries to solve this problem.
Notion works with the X windows system and supports popular Linux platforms like Debian, Gentoo, Arch and SUSE. It also work with other platforms like FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Solaris.

Features:

* Window management app for Linux.
    * Divides your desktop into fixed tiles.
    * Maximize windows into different tiles.
    * Multiple windows in one tile can be “tabbed”.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »

Hello.  I obtained the source for Notion, a tiling window manager similar to Ion3 (or ratpoison), but I can't figure out how to start it.  The desktop manager does not list it as a choice (I think I'm using gdm, since it's installed).  Notion uses lua to run.

Is there a conf file somewhere for the desktop/display manager that I can edit to give me the choice of Notion?

Create a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions for Notion. You can use an existing one as example.

HTH, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:56:59 pm »

I got notion-2012042300 built for VL70...for anyone who want to try it Smiley

http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.0/x86/notion-2012042300-i586-1vl70.txz
Chris530

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

This forum needs a 'thanks' button, and perhaps even a 'thanks hata'.  Thanks hata!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »

This forum needs a 'thanks' button, and perhaps even a 'thanks hata'.  Thanks hata!

Welcome Smiley
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:54:08 am »

Create a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions for Notion. You can use an existing one as example.

HTH, Rodrigo

Thanks Rodrigo, that did work.  However, the Notion I installed didn't have the manual page, so I'm going to try the package that hata_ph made now.

[later edit]

Thanks hata_ph, it works great.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:10:43 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: