VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 01:59:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XFCE Menu bar question  (Read 2292 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: July 17, 2012, 01:06:44 pm »

Is there an easy way to tell VLocity to slap the default menu bar to the top of the screen instead of rebuilding the #$)(*&@# thing?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »

Rebuilding what?

If you mean xfce4-panel, right click on panel empty space (ie do not let a panel add-on capture the click), in the popup menu got to panel, preferences, uncheck "Block panel" if needed. Once panel is unblocked drag the panel and drop in the desired position.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »

I tried that. Nothing was locked into place and I'll be dipped if I could grab it and drag the entire thing to the top of the screen.

Said to hell with it and made a menu2 at the top of the screen.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »

So, what does vlocity do, pray tell, that causes all this fuss?  No doubt it is something I need but am missing.

Rodrigo Ricardo*, most happy to read your occasional posts to this site. A friend of mine just returned from a month in Argentina and loved every minute of it.

* Corrected 7/20/12
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:06:09 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:29:28 am »

My primary "goto" is SOHO, but it's nice to have a lighter, snappier OS to play with.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »

So, what does vlocity do, pray tell, that causes all this fuss?  No doubt it is something I need but am missing.

VLocity is VectorLinux for 64 bits CPUs. Roughly, this is the size of the basic registers your processor uses to store data for computations. One of the main reasons to use a 64b CPU is fast access to memory beyond the 4GB of RAM. Since only the basic registers can be used to store memory addresses, the 32b CPUs can access up to 4GB of memory (each bit can has 2 values, either 0 or 1, you have 32 bits, therefore you can store 232 unique addresses in a register, that is, 4GB.) This limitation of 32b can be circumvented, at the cost of a performance penalty. So, 64b CPUs can access more mem more efficiently, which is good for big servers, large databases, statistical and scientific computations and probably video, or other applications involving big number crunching. On the other hand, 64b programs may use more RAM  because pointers and other basic data types have to use 64 bits addresses instead of 32 bits, using more space.
IMHO, not a lot of users out there will need to switch. Even when 4GB of RAM is common these days, the performance penalty of running a 32b operating system with PAE enabled for accessing all the RAM is depreciable. That said, I am exited about VLocity and running it now, its a lot of fun! Smiley

Ricardo, most happy to read your occasional posts to this site. A friend of mine just returned from a month in Argentina and loved every minute of it.

My name is "Rodrigo" Cheesy
Don't worry, its hard to remember. Vec says "Ricardo" 64% of the times Cheesy. I think in English you could say "Roderick". I have been told that its Germanic. Anyway, thanks!, glad your friend enjoyed his visit!

I tried that. Nothing was locked into place and I'll be dipped if I could grab it and drag the entire thing to the top of the screen.

Thats weird, I can drag the panel vertically at any position by placing the mouse pointer in the handler placed at the very beginning or end of the panel and hloding the button, provided that the panel is "unblocked" (otherwise the "handlers" are invisible.)

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »

Rodrigo, Rodrigo, Rodrigo, Rodrigo.

I know that.  Why I don't get it right is anyone's guess.  Sorry.  Like people calling me Jerry instead of John. Anyway, my friend who just returned was most impressed with your country and with the food.  Meat everywhere, he said.  Several courses of meat were served at several dinners he attended.  Only thing that didn't have meat in it, he said, was the desert.  He brought some (desert) back with him but I didn't try it as it looked too sweet.  Anyway, he is anxious to return as soon as possible.

I will pass on the 64 bit load for as long as I can get away with it.  My computer running VL standard is very, very fast. And, if I get another big database job, I can always try to seek your help. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

Anyway, my friend who just returned was most impressed with your country and with the food.  Meat everywhere, he said.  Several courses of meat were served at several dinners he attended.  Only thing that didn't have meat in it, he said, was the desert.  He brought some (desert) back with him but I didn't try it as it looked too sweet.  Anyway, he is anxious to return as soon as possible.

That totally sounds like Argentina :-)
I am trying to reduce the meat in my food, but its not easy here! My Granny cant even understand it Cheesy
The desert sounds like something with "dulce de leche". I dont know how they do it but its more sweet than sugar itself.

I will pass on the 64 bit load for as long as I can get away with it.  My computer running VL standard is very, very fast. And, if I get another big database job, I can always try to seek your help. 

For sure.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: