VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:24:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't get Vector installed on VirtualBox - got VL Lite 7.0 vdi?  (Read 906 times)
Dark Rider

« on: July 20, 2012, 03:57:14 am »

I want to run a MUD, text based online game in Vector through Virtual Box running on windows 7. I can't seem to get it installed. I tried the standard edition of 7.0. Since the system has no mouse integration support, trying to format the virtual hard drive was like pulling teeth with a pair of tweezers. No matter what resolution I tried to use, I could not get the mouse to move to the spot I needed it. I gave up and downloaded a copy of SOHO 7.0 VDI.

The VDI file works great but its got way more stuff installed and running than I need, and I get an error that says guest additions are out of date. Following the link to download/install the new guest edition doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyway, I'd like a copy of Vector Linux Lite 7.0 in a VDI format to use. I don't know how the guy who makes these gets around the mouse problem. Barring me getting my hands on a VDI of VL Lite 7.0 is there another way I can get around the problem? Either solution will do.

Thanks.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:21 am »

can you install with the text installer?
you could install over the soho vdi, that would keep you from having to partition.
Dark Rider

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:33 am »

Text installer? You mean the light version has a text installer? I didn't know that. I didn't try the lite version yet. Didn't know I could install over the soho vdi either - Sweet. Normally because so many distros are different and have different partition managers, I use Partition Wizard to make my Linux partitions so I'll have them already - but of course I can't do this in a VM. VirtualBox should really come with a virtual hard disk partition manager. Now that would be a sweet useful edition to the VirtualBox open source edition. I think I'll log onto the virtualbox forums and ask about it.

I'll try to get the lite I.S.O. installed over the Soho edition. Thanks for the tips.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »

The STD version has a text installer too.  Read the boot prompt right before the ISO boots.  Instead of just waiting or pressing enter, type "install" (without quotes) and it will boot to the text installer.

Dark Rider

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »

Thanks Moe.

I decided to use Vector Lite. I tried to install it over the SOHO VDI and it booted fine after install but then somehow i lost it. It refused to boot, it could not find boot media. So I started from scratch with the Lite text installer. It took me a while to get the partitions right because I'm used to working with tools that are a little different. It's installing now But I did not tell the cfdisk tool to make any partition "Bootable".  If it don't boot after install, I'll be back.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:54:08 pm by Dark Rider » Logged
Dark Rider

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »

O.k. I can't get it to load. At first it said no boot media found - then I found the reset button for the VM. Next I got a boot screen where I had to type the command to tell it to look in sbd1 to boot from. That didn't work. i don't remember exactly if it is setup in sdb1 but I assume it is because thats the only system installed on the drive. I tried accessing cfdisk from the Boot prompt to verify this, and it would not load it.. must not be in there, only on the ISO.

Edit:

I fixed it. It wasn't that it wasn't loading with that command.. it was hanging for a long time. I let it run while typing out the above post, and to my surprise when I looked at the VM, it had loaded to the screen that asks you to set up LILO. I used the defaults. Then when i came to the screen to set up Boot options for each startup type, I also choose the defaults for each type.. that seemed to work and now, I'm in the system normally. I can shut it down and log on, without the delay I had at first boot after typing the command to tell it where to look for the OS. I do hope I didn't not enable something I should have enabled.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:22:24 pm by Dark Rider » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: