VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:36:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to update the JWM start menu?  (Read 1474 times)
Dark Rider

« on: July 22, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »

JWM used to display a notice at startup telling how you update the installed programs in the start menu. I did this once then forgot how to do it. That notice no longer appears. Now that I have installed more apps, i need to update the start menu. How do i do this?

My JWM desktop by default did not have any icons on the desktop like the other DE's in Vector. I think it would be good to have a copy of this notice on the desktop so people can update enough till they remember how to do it, then they can delete the notice if they want to. I don't see any place in the menus to navigate back to this notice.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »

Sound like not a VL problem...you can check the JWM configuration at
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JWM
Dark Rider

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:10:26 pm »

It isn't a vector problem.. other than vector doesn't put a copy of the notice on the desktop.

Those two sites you sent me to doesn't answer my question. All I want to know are the two simple commands the startup notice tells you about. That's it. I don't need to manually configure the app to do different things, thats what those pages are for. They are not an operators manual.

My options are, have someone here to tell me or, reinstall Vector for a first time use of JMW so i can view those messages again - and this time write them down before the notice goes Poof.

There should really be a way to access that notice easily from within vector after it goes away. You may say this is not Vectors problem, but Vector is in a unique situation to help solve this problem by putting a link to the file or the file itself in a place where newbies can easily find it. I'm sure the Vector devs can set up this for first run of JMW, or make a text file available to all DE users stuck off in a folder someplace.

Perhaps if your not a JWM user, you don't understand what i want to do. Unlike most DE's JWM does not update shortcuts to the new apps you install in the given categories ( from the start menu) . So, I install the Midroi browser, but I can only go to it by typing midori in the Run box - it doesn't show up anywhere in the start menu unless you tell JWM to update the list. This is what the JWM notice at start up tells you, only it only appears for a short time then doesn't reappear after a few reboots.. Not enough time IMO for newbies to remember the commands that they wont have to use right away.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:30:07 pm by Dark Rider » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:12 pm »

try fixmenus and jwm -restart

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JWMMenuCategory
Dark Rider

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »

Well. that page gets a lil closer to the problem, but still doesn't answer my question. I think my best bet if no ones knows, it to create a copy of vector in another virtual machine, look at the notice, write down the commands, then delete the virtual machine. I just thought someone would quickly know the answer, without me having to do that.

I do thank you for trying to help though.

P.S. I did try:  jws -fixmenus and jws -restart or running fixmenus from the Run boxand they don't update the menu with newly installed apps.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:37:53 pm by Dark Rider » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:56:38 am »

Look on the menu under "System" for an entry to update the menu.
If not there, go to the hidden "~/.jwm" folder and look for the update script.
macondo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:51 am »

Perhaps if your not a JWM user, you don't understand what i want to do. Unlike most DE's JWM does not update shortcuts to the new apps you install in the given categories ( from the start menu) . So, I install the Midroi browser, but I can only go to it by typing midori in the Run box - it doesn't show up anywhere in the start menu unless you tell JWM to update the list.

Restart jwm
click on Menu > System > Update menu

VL 7.0 Light - Barebones Install - Kernel 3.0.17
Debian Testing - Minimal Install - kernel 3.4.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-686
Desktop: Atom Processor || 1 GB RAM || 500 GB HD
Dark Rider

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »

Thank folks. I knew it was something simple that i just could not remember. I even looked around and didn't see that option in the menu.  Dont know how I missed it. I guess i didn't scroll down far enough.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: