VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 02:45:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing gnome on VL 7 standard running xfce4  (Read 1477 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 21, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »

So, I want to run a program (glom) which requires updated gnome files, the files in the VL repositories being too old.   I know of no way of individually installing the needed updated files in VL 7.  

No package 'pygobject-3.0' found
No package 'libgdamm-5.0' found
No package 'libgda-5.0' found
No package 'libgda-postgres-5.0' found
Requested 'libepc-1.0 >= 0.4.0' but version of Easy Publish and Consume Library is 0.3.11

Can I just install the latest gnome in my VL 7 machine so glom will have the files it needs?  And still run xfce?  If so, any clues as to how to install gnome?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:04:25 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:46 am »

PS.   I have looked at stretchedthin's video on how to do this in VL6, but it doesn't seem to work in VL7.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »

It it going to be very hard to upgrade to the versions that glom wants without breaking VL7.
IMO you are going to want to wait for the next VL release.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »

Thank you uelsk8s.

I will try to concentrate on kexi in the meantime.  Kexi, KDE's database, is great, but I hate the fact that all data in a kexi table is deleted on even the slightest redesign of the table fields.  So far I have not found an acceptable work-around.  But I suspect I will if I use the program for a while. 

Or perhaps just continue using dos foxpro 2.6 under dosemu.  It works fine for a guy like me, who changes his database mind every now and then, but I think its about 30 years old. 

John

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: