VectorLinux
November 29, 2014, 12:19:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you use a virtual machine - consider Parallels for speed  (Read 1023 times)
Dark Rider

« on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:52 am »

If this isn't in the best place, Please move it mods with my apologies.

I venture out of the newbie forum to tell you guys about something that might help you out if your running from a VM and find the system slow. Those who have read my posts know I have been tweaking my Vector Lite and Windows to make it run as fast as possible (inside of VirtualBox and Win 7) . Last night I discovered a virtualization app that blew me away. It's called Parallels Workstation. People on the site, testimonies posted, bragged about how running from Parallels was just as fast as running from a native hard drive install. I found docs that shows benchmarks of how much faster Parallels is than VMware. All this was too much to take seriously.  I simply had to give this app a try.

I decided to really give it a good shot so I turned off all my Windows tweaks going back to Windows defaults and installed a Parallels VM of Vector Standard Gold 7.0. I gave the VM only 1.5 gigabytes of ram. Vector Lite running in VirtualBox has 2 gigabytes of ram (and windows is normally tweaked to the hilt). Instantly I could see the Vector Linux Standard Parallels VM was much faster than the Vector Lite VirtualBox VM. If I had to guess, this is exactly as fast as Vector would run with 1.5 gigs of ram installed natively (or close to it). I opened several apps and watched some videos with Firefox. After a few minutes, I totally forgot I was inside of a VM. The illusion is that good. With the VirtualBox VM I still get a dragging mouse effect that's annoying. With Parallels, the mouse is smooth. I'm only running a laptop with 4 gigs of ram and a single core 2.1 Ghz processor. If your system is better than mine, your sure to get even better results.

The only drawback to this app is it's not free or opensource. They give you a 30 day trial and after that you have to pay 50 dollars U.S (marked down from 75) I haven't compared the Parallels VM to VMware yet. I plan on doing that today. If getting a new PC for Vector is out of your reach but 50 bucks isn't for the extra speed gained and you really need that speed, this app may help you out.
http://www.parallels.com/products/workstation/

I'm just a guy with an opinion to share and am not affiliated with Parallels in any way nor do I receive any compensation from them - but if you find my post useful I will accept a few Zorkmids for my time. Ah Ha ! Virtual Zorkmids will do ! -> (Zm)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:12:49 am »

This almost looks like advertising for them.  Be careful or a drunk moderator may ban you from the forum some day.

Dark Rider

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:43 am »

It's just how I come across. I'd like to think of myself as a good writer. That's why I'm trying to build a Mud which is a text based adventure game. I'm semi-retired. Spent 20 years with AC and Heating (repair not sales), bought a house and now I'm looking to sell e-cigs with my time left on Earth because I believe they helped to save my life.  I'll take your comment as a compliment though. LOL I have two speeds.. silly and serious. Often times the two mix in strange ways. Hopefully that will be good for my writing. Oh.. and anything by Douglas Adams helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: