VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 07:47:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Windows 8 could be a disaster for the games industry"  (Read 1281 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377
syncdram

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:45:30 am »

Windows 8  on all fronts will be a catastrophe  and only a small percentage will see things differently.  This will only have a chance for the next generation to come if it were to take off.  To put it nicely, pardon my french, but "CRAP".  I cannot even fathom to understand what MS sees in this.  Its going to be a real game changer for its users just like ubuntu who lost a very very large percent of its users.  I being one of them and was lucky enough to find Vector.  Ubutnu has put all its eggs into one bag hoping for a big payoff.  The bag MS has better be something pretty spectacular otherwise this is the end of the way of life they have become accustomed to.

For Linux, Including Vector, this is a opportunity like never seen before to really bring in users on a scale never seen before.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:32:47 am »

I really don't see why anybody would "upgrade" to Windows 8.  The GUI is of the type you see on tablets and phones ... but they'll be shipping it on desktops and laptops too.  In addition to that, there really isn't anything about it which is an improvement over Windows 7.  From what I've been reading, not too many business are going to be jumping on Windows 8 in a hurry, probably in part because doing software training is expensive and time consuming.

I'm not at all a fan of Apple, but their method of changing OS X incrementally over a long period of time seems much smarter than what Microsoft is doing.  Windows has had the "Start" button since what, 1995?  And now it's gone.  People are going to freak out.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »

I work for a large utility company, and in the Cardiff office there are over 1000 computers.  All with Vista licenses but downgraded to XP.  Most of the software is designed to work with XP and they don't want to change anytime soon.  They certainly will not go for Window 8
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:21 am »

Well game devs are looking at linux as a backup, year of the linux desktop maybe?

Forever in a box
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: