VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 12:28:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to choose packages during VL7 Light install  (Read 1303 times)
dilemma

« on: August 19, 2012, 04:09:03 am »

Hi!,

I want to install linux on an old P4 and Vector seems perfect. I'm currently trying it out on a virtualbox (Vector Linux 7 Light edition) - I like the full install option with LXDE .

However, I am space constrained on my old PC and vector installs several packages that I do not need. Is there any way to choose which packages get installed during the install ? I read the install guide - it mentions a "PACKAGE" option (in step 4) that probably would have allowed me to do this but I'm not getting that option during the installation of VL7 (The install guide seems to be for VL6 !?).

If it's not possible to deselect some packages, I suppose, I could install a barebone version and then install the rest of the packages manually. Is there a list in which I could see exactly what packages get installed in which setup option (light / medium / full etc.) ?

I am not sure if a barebone install would take much less space than a full install. Also, installing everything manually would be a long and tedious process Tongue so I would really prefer to 'deselect' during install..  Grin . I would be really thankful if someone could offer me some pointers..
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »

You're right, the mentioned "package" option is outdated, there is no such thing in VL7 Light, sorry.

If you browse the install CD, you will find several folders.
The barebone option will install everything in "base" and "packages", and vlconfig2 and vlight-mods from "config", in that order.
Light adds "option1" plus the option1 package in "config".
Medium uses "option2" and the associated config file.
Full installs "option2", "option3" and config files.

You can do a barebone install and remove the packages you don't want with the removepkg command (see which ones are included by looking in the packages folder). Then add whatever you want from the other folders, or use gslapt to build your custom system. For example, gslapt will show an LXDE meta package, which will automatically pull in a selection of packages for the desktop environment.

dilemma

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

Thanks nightflier, I'm already trying the barebone install..

But even a "bare" install takes up around 2.7 GB of space Tongue ...maybe we could consider bringing back the "Package" option in the next VL release (or atleast a high level choice like Office Tools / Graphic Tools / Dev Tools etc..)
mint

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:29:06 am »

I'm using VL7 Light con IceWM in an old pentium 3, 750Mhz and 256MB of RAM, laptop. Works great and the old hd 20GB is practically unused.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: