VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Proprietary Drivers for AMD/ATI?  (Read 1611 times)

JamesGTRS

Proprietary Drivers for AMD/ATI?
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »

I've been a user of Slackware64 since 13.00, and recently completed borked my 13.37 partition.  Since it was only a week or two till 14 arrives, I thought I would give one of the Slackware derivitives a try.

Installed flawlessly, but it seems I can get it to get the right graphics mode.  I have two monitors to use, one is a 22" CRT, native is 1600x1200, but it can only find 800x600 as the highest res.  The other is a projector, native is 1280x800, but it finds only 4:3 resolutions.  I can go to 1600x1200, but it's much to blurry, so I choose 1280x1024 as the most compatible, but, it's streched.

I tried to install the proprietary ATI driver for my graphics card, Radeon 6550D, but it doesn't install.  It says it can't find version.h. in a folder that doesn't exist.

From searching around, I should install the kernel source code, but I don't see where that is in Vector.  It doesn't list it in slaptget.

I am using Vlocity 7.

Anyone else get the proprietary AMD/ATI 64 bit drivers installed?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Proprietary Drivers for AMD/ATI?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:24:37 am »

Kernels, modules and source are found here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/kernels/
Go to the sub-dir that matches your kernel, download and install the source (stripped-src may be enough) with the "installpkg" command.

JamesGTRS

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:52:46 am »

Awesome!  I will let you know how this works out.

JamesGTRS

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »

Perfect!  Worked like a charm...thank you!