VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:25:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "unable to load a failsafe session"  (Read 1044 times)
communicator.ngn

« on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:13 am »

Keen to take a look at Vector Linux as a way to get more out of some older hardware, which is currently chugging along quite happily with Ububntu 10.04 but ‒ because of the version/distro policy ‒ beginning to lag behind on updates.

I downloaded the ISO image and burned it to CD, and installation starts without any problems. After a while, though, it fails with the following messages:

unable to load a failsafe session
unable to determine failsafe session name
• xconfd isn't running (D-Bus setup prob)
• env.var $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly
• Xfce4 session is installed incorrectly

What's going wrong? (in human-readable terms …) and how can I correct it?

Thanks in advance!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:01:04 am »

Not sure here, but I think you need to provide more info, such as whether you are dual booting and if so with what and what are your partitions?  And which Vector you are loading.

I just put VL 7 on a machine yesterday and had no such problems.  But I used the whole (500g) sata harddrive, with a 6 gig swap, 50 gigs for root and 400 something gigs for the home partition.  I notice on this forum that problems  such as you describe often seem to be posted by users who dual boot. 

Hope this helps.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
communicator.ngn

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:22 pm »

The simplest answer is "no, no dual boot".
  • if you need more information about the laptop I was trying out, just let me know
  • the version is VL7.0-std-gold-live
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:52:23 am »

That (VL 7 standard) is what I use.  There are many on this site much more knowledgeable than I, but I do load VL7 standard a lot and occasionally have problems similar to those you are having.  Here is what I would do, in order.

Try the older installer.  If you hit return at the first prompt, it loads the new gui installer.  If you type "install" (I think) before hitting return, you get the old installer.  Sometimes the old installer works better.   On my last install, I could not get the install to work right with ext4 in the new installer, but it did install properly with reiserfs in the old installer.  Go figure.

Since you are using your complete drive, once you get to the partition machine, divide it into three (swap, root, and home partitions).  I think, with VL 7, that the root parition has to be 10 or 15 gigs or more.  Last install I did I gave root 50 gigs, probably way too much. 

Then complete the install.

If that doesn't work, I would assume I had a bad download or a bad burn, so I would download VL 7 again and burn a new CD and try again.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: