VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 10:11:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just rambling commands and package installs  (Read 6420 times)
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:55 am »

And be careful with "dd" aka disk distroyer. Make double sure of your /dev/sd??
or you might end with: see aka.
dd carries no warning!

I usually use something like live Clonzilla or Parted Magic usually. I am usually pretty careful for a Knuckle Dragging Neanderthal Tattooed Linux using Harley rider who does not make his living working IT but instead make my money tuning and building and repairing Motorcycles in my own building/shop/Quonset Hut steel Building.

Code:
# blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="PQSERVICE" UUID="84C0247FC0247996" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="SYSTEM RESERVED" UUID="9C2425202424FF40" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="Acer" UUID="6AC2CA02C2C9D28D" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="26a54718-3581-4c8b-958a-a03d4ce2b96f" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda7: UUID="a6ae8d53-ff84-420d-93f2-820aeee3722a" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="9b2b59c3-470f-4a0f-82d0-9c933bc0ca4a" TYPE="ext4"

This latop is for tuning bikes. Hence the Windows 7 on the drive. If I decided to use just dd to create a backup or whatever and I have used PUDD in Puppy to clone a netbook 8gig internal XP SSD drive to external 8 gig Camera SD flash drive.  Anyways. It would go something like this. Me being a bull in a china cabinet and all.

1. Boot up your Live cd or dvd of your choice
2. Open a terminal window on the Desktop/Window Manager.
3. su into root. Then password.
4. Plug in some external drive. Do not mount that sucker yet. If Automounted. Unmount that Puppy.
5. use fdisk or blkid to get /dev/sdx number so no mistakes are made in the next steps.
6.  Lets say  that the external drive was shown as a folder  as /media/disk as that is the usual/norm

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -c >/media/disk/system-image.gz

The above should copy,compress,stuff like the bootloader/partitions/and partition tables of your whole hardrive sda. Including Windows if dualbooting. So make sure you use a good size external drive before doing this. I have a 1 TB drive for stuff like this.

To unzip

Code:
gunzip -c /media/disk/system-image.gz | dd of=/dev/sda

Wink
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:59:59 am by rokytnji » Logged

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:14:54 pm »

Might as well throw this in here also.

When I want to trouble shoot graphics. I use everything from

Code:
xrandr -s <video resolution like 1024x768 goes here>

If I like the resolution. I try and find what controls startup for my Windows Manager or Desktop Environment and add that line to the startup.
It is just easier for me than editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf as certain distros are now coming out without a default /etc/X11/xorg.conf. They use a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

For other trouble shooting besides using glxgears or whatever is normal for dri stuff.

Code:
xvidtune -show

Code:
glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"

Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "dri" | grep -v -i "driver"

in conjunction with the inxi -G command. I show how to install inxi in the how to section of this forum. It is just a information gathering script that does not
install anything. I help out H2 just a very little bit with checking smxi and sgfxi scripts also in AntiX.

Code:
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:19 am »

One of the streaming rock radio stations I listen to.
It is a Australia based site but a Texas DJ I know online who works there in Collaboration with the guy from down
under told me about it. I use the winamp .pls to stream through xmms in my Zenwalk media player desktop computer via a 200 watt per channel amplifier through the motor cycle shop ceiling speakers.

http://loudcity.com/stations/world-rock-radio

Listening to Rage against the Machine "Renegades of Funk" as I type this out.

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 09:58:01 am »

Just Learned fixing Windows MBR using

Code:
testdisk

in a terminal if testdisk is installed in a live iso.

In TestDisk it's labeled 'MBR code: Write MBR code to first sector' and it needs to be run on an unmounted partition. Best practice is from the Mepis LiveDisk or PartedMagic or similar bootable LiveDisk.

I'm pretty sure it used to be labeled MSDOS boot code. Or at least something slightly less cryptic. However it will repair an MBR from the Mepis LiveDVD.
I prefer one of the tools such as PartedMagic as it is labeled to be more easily understood. But there are many tools for repairing the MBR to an MSDOS state.
Just to repair an MBR to boot Linux is very easily done by Mepis and it's System Assistant (in Mepis 11). In the beta you'll need to use the update-grub command.

So lets see

Youtube

Documentation Of Test Disk

For insurance (I know, it is a Windows Link)  Roll Eyes

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/190430-regain-lost-drive-using-test-disk-illustrated-guide.html

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 05:13:57 am »

When I want to certain info on how many cores I am running

Code:
grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo|sed -e 's/model name.*: //'|uniq

Just to fill the post. A bootable rootkit remover based on Slitaz (I think, don't know for sure), and supplied by Comodo for free. I'd grab it while it is still free.

Comodo Rescue Disk

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 08:06:58 am »

Just a tint2 config of mine and some conkyrc I keep in pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/u/rokytnji

Ignore the free up space in / paste, as I use that on my AntiX installs on my small ssd drives.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: