Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hello to Vector-Linux  (Read 2028 times)

Hello to Vector-Linux
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:41:04 pm »

Hello All!
I have always been very impressed of Slackware. Many years ago i used Slackware and found it to bee keen to old computers.
Some how I found, I believe it was on the official forum of Slackware, i.e. LQ, a reference to Vector Linux. I gave it a first test by running the VL 7.0 gold live, and it impressed, so then I installed the VL SOHO 7 on my old Dell Latitude D-600 from 2003. I must say it runs smoother than windows 2000 did at those days... :) Most Impressive! -But I am still a little concerned about accessing my USB-external, hard disks (NTFS file systems), which worked well with VL 7.0 live, and in Slackware, but not in VL7.0 SHO.

I guess that will be sorted out in the future. My preferred key map, sv-latin1, was even not possible with the graphical installer ???, I solved it by adding it to /etc/profile.
I'll might participate on IRC in the future. I have big hopes for VL.

Processor      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
Memory      : 2066MB (671MB used)
Operating System      : Slackware 13.37.0

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
Re: Hello to Vector-Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »

Hello and most of your concerns will be handled by our knowledgable community.
Slack On

• Vectorite
  • Linux Friganeer
    • Yet Another Technology Site
Re: Hello to Vector-Linux
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57:58 am »

Howdy and welcome. I ran into something you describe but in my Semplice Linux install. I fixed it by copying over a working /etc/fstab over to Semplice /etc/fstab.

which worked well with VL 7.0 live

Maybe just copy over the working one to your install. But I am guessing here in case we are talking about udev instead.
I am not sure if you are talking about hot plugging in external drive or have it being already plugged in before booting up.

I also made manual entries for folders in /media as sda1, sdb2,sdd1. Just whatever I needed for external drive names in /media.

Happy Trails, Rok