VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 06:23:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to VectorLinux  (Read 2159 times)
rmcellig

« on: September 22, 2012, 07:38:01 am »

I have been trying out various distros over the past 2-3 years. Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy Linux (which I love!!), Snow Linux Manjaro... You get the picture. I have never tried Vector Linux and I am hoping that I can do everything I need to with this distro. I haven't installed it yet (still downloading iso for standard Gold version. All I want is a distro that is stable, fast, has an extensive repository and is hopefully easy to maintain. In short, the least amount of hassle if that is possible Wink I am not much on eye candy. For me speed and stability mean more than flashing windows etc...

I will post back to report how my first impressions are.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:59 am »

Hi and welcome, its always good to get a new pair of eyes to review what we have done...
rmcellig

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:17 am »

I am now officially using Vector Linux 7 on my computer. So far so good. I liked the installer window while I was installing listing the Vector Linux community. That made me feel as if there is someone out there who can help me out with any questions I may have.

I just tried the Gslapt Package Manager to Install Audacity and Fiolezilla. Worked fine although I did notice that the version of Audacity is an older version and not the latest 2.0.1. Is there anything I can do about this? Also, Firefox is only 8.01 when the current version is 15.0.1. Maybe I'm missing something?

Overall so far, everything seems to work and I am happy to be part of this forum. Thanks for getting back to me. Smiley
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:26:38 am »

Howdy and welcome.

Firefox is only 8.01 when the current version is 15.0.1. Maybe I'm missing something?

Have you hit the update button yet in Gslapt? Firefox 13 should show up.

All I want is a distro that is stable,

Well, wanting a distro that is stable, yet runs the latest released software out there. Either you want one or the other. CentOS or Debian Stable does not run current kernels, libraries, or packages either.

Me. I just play and play. Means I like to break things. So I also run Debian unstable and Debian Testing. Here is a bone for how I installed Firefox 15.0.1 in Vector. You break your install. Not my faultWink

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16806.msg93446#msg93446

Audacity

I don't use it. In fact. I don't use Exaile either. I go with lighter stuff on my gear like xmms or ffmpeg.

I think I have seen you at Puppy Forums which is another distro I run. So, Happy Trails, Rok

Chris530

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »

vpackager creates a package of the newest tarball http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/audacity-minsrc-2.0.2.tar.bz2

If after updating your repositories with Gslapt you don't see a program that you want
you can always request it at "New Package Requests" http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?board=35.0
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »

Welcome and happy vectoring Smiley
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 02:33:15 am »

I am now officially using Vector Linux 7 on my computer. So far so good. I liked the installer window while I was installing listing the Vector Linux community. That made me feel as if there is someone out there who can help me out with any questions I may have.

That is why I said we in my welcome, I am not a developer - just a user who gives some feedback from time to time, but the folks who are the developers genuinely welcome comments and together we form the wider Vector Linux Community.  Indeed its good to see that recognised in the installer window.

As a new user your views will be especially valuable
syncdram

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:51:27 am »

I've Been using Firefox 15 untested since i posted my post as was referenced here as a reply. Running like a champ, no issues or problems. I"m not a light user of Firefox either in vector, everything i have demanded of it and more has answered the call.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »

I just tried the Gslapt Package Manager to Install Audacity and Fiolezilla. Worked fine although I did notice that the version of Audacity is an older version and not the latest 2.0.1. Is there anything I can do about this? Also, Firefox is only 8.01 when the current version is 15.0.1. Maybe I'm missing something?

Firefox 15.0.1 moved to the extra repository (thanks for the testing syncdram...allowed me to move it directly to extra)
Audacity 2.0.2 moved to the testing repository (enable testing source in gslapt)

edit...one note on Audacity.  Also, install soundtouch from testing.  It's used by audacity for some additional sound tweeking functions.
It was not caught by requiredbuilder and put in the slack-required file automatically, so I'll have to do it manually and update the build before I move it to extra.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: