VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 06:06:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.1  (Read 16388 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: September 24, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

OK guys, where to next?  What are the targets improvements and updates we need - any ideas as yet as to the route map?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:38:58 am by stretchedthin » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:03:19 am »

OK guys, where to next?  What are the targets improvements and updates we need - any ideas as yet as to the route map?
Sorry for the late reply.
we are working on 7.1 now. There has been huge amounts of effort behind the scenes( more than any previous release IMO) but we are hoping most all of it is undetectable to the end user.
We have the new installer to a mostly usable state and expect a public release soon.
If any of you would like to test the Alpha releases with us let me know.

In the mean time could I get some installer usage stats from all of you?
how do you run the installer? cdrom, usb from vinstall-iso
do you install all pkgs or not?
what would you like to see in the new installer?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:39:17 am by stretchedthin » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:41:59 pm »

I have been using the new installer for  a bit now IMHO only areas that need addressing is choosing a language a timezone and to be able to turn on turn off startup services and maybe import an existing user in the /home directory. I agree this has been our most exhaustive prerelease to date!! We have completely rewritten the installer from scratch and all the packages used in the distro are all built in a sanitized sandbox with dependencies tightly controlled. For the end user this should be a spectacular release. So those using vector please give us some early feedback so we can make it better as we are in the building stage !!!

Cheers,
Vec
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:39:26 am by stretchedthin » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:32:21 am »

Fantastic.... Well I install from a CD always - though would like to try a USB install on a netbook...  will try downloading an alpha release - if you can point me at a directory...
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »

Hi Lyn,

We would like to know what are the features you usually use, like:
Do you use the package selection feature from the installer? Or you just leave the defaults?
Do you use the partitioning tools in the install disk?
What would you change in current installer?

Everybody's feedback on these topics is welcome!

cheers!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:39:35 am by stretchedthin » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

Do you use the package selection feature from the installer? Or you just leave the defaults?

I am not sure what the package selection is.  I don't recall seeing it.  In any event, its not very important to me. I always do a complete install using the whole disk.  I use the defaults for this.    

Yes.  I usually first check to see what is there in the way of partitions.  Then I partition into 3 partitions, swap, root and home.  I usually put 3 times ram in swap, never know how big to make the root partition, but as the hard drives on most of the newer computers are huge, I usually put at least 10 MB or Gigs (can't remember what they are called) on root (30 if the hard drive is big enough), and the rest on home.  I also use the partitioning machine to set the drives up as EXT 4 (if I recall correctly).  I no longer use reiserfs, though I don't know why and never had any trouble with it.  I prefer the partition machine in the old installer to the new one (partition magic or whatever its called)

I find that some machines still need the old installer, and so I use that a lot.  I would keep it.  Frankly, I think both the old and the gui installer are pretty good.  Like Lyn, I always download, then burn image to an install CD.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:39:43 am by stretchedthin » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:28:32 pm »

good info guys, keep it coming.

I will post a link to an iso as soon as its ready

I just wanted to add a caution. the new installer comes with a new auto mode. in auto you select a HD(if you have more than 1) and the installer will create its own partitions(destroying any data on that drive) and complete a full install.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:39:53 am by stretchedthin » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:10:57 am »

Hi Lyn,

We would like to know what are the features you usually use, like:

In standard I use the defaults, in light I select packages - well groups of packages ie the Icewm

Sometimes, though generally not because I have partitioning set up as I want it most of the time, but from time to time I will start from scratch, reformat the drive and use the partition tools on the disk.

Possibly a better back button facility to go back in the install if you have made a mistake.  Better language support would make the distro more appealing to many.  Possibly a complete automatic install - I auto partitioning using the whole disk and install everything on default settings.

Everybody's feedback on these topics is welcome!

cheers!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:40:08 am by stretchedthin » Logged
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:55 am »

Hi,

On my desktop I usually install from CD but on my netbook I always do a install from usb disk.
I also do use the package selection. I only install the packages I really use.

I'm looking forward to test this release.

cheers,

nicdm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:40:19 am by stretchedthin » Logged

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »

latest iso is here: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/VL-7.1-STD-A13.iso
MD5SUM: eb71f63fa198bb7c5c1063cc3da04724  VL-7.1-STD-A13.iso

if you try it out, please let us know what you think.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »

latest iso is here: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/VL-7.1-STD-A13.iso
MD5SUM: eb71f63fa198bb7c5c1063cc3da04724  VL-7.1-STD-A13.iso

if you try it out, please let us know what you think.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Successfully installed using Automatic mode (grub2) and Advanced mode (did lilo and grub2), with one caveat.  I had to set floppy to none in my bios or else the install would fail. (edit it would fail if grub was choosen as bootloader, lilo was ok) (My computer does not have a floppy, but the bios was set as if it did.)
It would be interesting for someone who does have a floopy to test and is if the error was caused by machine having floopy enabled in the bios but not actually having a floopy.

I know this thread is about the installer but just one point about NetworkManager...
I see NetworkManager has replaced Wicd, but when I first booted the icon on the panel was not visible, but I could right click on the vacant spot and edit my connection to set the password and it worked, just fine.  After setting icon appeared again.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:42:24 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »

Stretchedthin's comment caused me to reflect on the complexities of modern life and also write this post:

My general rule of change should apply here:  never change anything unless the cost of compliance with the new rule is justified by the benefit.  So please replace wicd with network manager only if network manager is so much better than wicd that it justifies the time and expense of having thousands of user learn how to use it.  And even then, please be sure that WICD is in the repositories so that those of us who believe that most change violates my general rule have the option to use WICD. 

And, if grub, which so far as I can recall I have never used, is to become even more of a standard, please be sure that those of us who use lilo and who have never had a problem with it can easily continue to do so.  Looks like you are doing this, though I question why lilo should be an "advanced" option.  I am certainly not advanced.  I read about people having boot-loader problems.  They seem to me to mostly be using grub. 

I have been using VL since at least 5.8 and the changes made have generally been improvements.  More particularly, with each new release, the upgrade process seems to get easier.  I am particularly impressed with the recent improvements which allow us to accurately import our old settings.  So long as I keep ext4 and don't reformat my home directory, the upgrade process has become virtually painless. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 02:47:33 am »

Downloaded and md5sum OK.

Installed on USB stick. Boot, ask me to wait, after quite some wait it tells
switching to init 6.

Burned a CD. md5sum OK. Booted, ask me to wait, after quite some wait
I get a blank page, at the bottom a panel in hide. Could play a game but
no further booting. Logout put me back to init 6.

That is on a desktp PC of very recent vintage.

EDIT:
Both  booting from USB or CD the install diks cannot be found using the TUI installer: install [Enter]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:47:44 pm by Pita » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:44 am »

downloaded 7.1 iso and sum ( have floppy and thought I could be of use...not familiar with all the boot codes)
checked sum and burn

press enter..black screen then nice vector splash..wait.. one flicker but still splash then level 6 kicks out disk and auto reboots

gui noacpi..black screen then scrolling code in blue box.vector below...to logging in as root then level 6 reboot

gui noacpi gui vga=1024...to list or scan. type315 (1024 vesa) then tux and text..logging in as root then level 6 reboot

current spec=
 intel celeron 2.4ghz
 768 megs-3x 256 pc2100
 p4vmm2 rev8.1 board.
 floppy
 dvd multi
 hdd=sda1=VL7light (lilo),
        sda2=swap,
        sda3 is a resize of sda1 for 20gig to install, both ext2
 agp ati 3d rage pro,
 pci airplus extreme g wireless,
 pci  4port usb2,
 usb optical mouse and ps2 std keyboard

Everything Is Relative
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:49 am »

Pita, Overthere and anyone else willing to try:
we have published a live version of the A13 build might want to give that a try only version is 64 bit at the moment....................the hd installer should work from live.
Thanks to oMasta for supplying this!!!
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/LiveCD/VLocity-Live-A1.3.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/LiveCD/VLocity-Live-A1.3.md5sum

See if you get any better results.

Cheers,
Vec
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: