VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 03:59:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.1  (Read 18718 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »

Just installed VLocity B0.12. Seems the partition mount issue has been fixed. Network Manager is still not asking for password when you initially select the wireless connection, nor are the settings saving in resolv.conf.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »

Drive mounting no longer asks for a password. Seems all drives/partitions on the system are automatically mounted. While this is kinda handy, updatedb reads EVERYTHING now. YUCK!

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »

Also, when you use the mouse wheel to adjust the volume, mixer crashes.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »

Exaile also crashes with a "no suitable plugins" error.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:26 am »

Just had a thought regarding the installer. I just finished cloning the Linux drive to a larger, faster one. Thought I'd like to create 2 Vlocity installations, but there is no option to mark one from the other during the installation process. One would have to go in and modify the grub files to make that distinction.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2013, 03:55:46 am »

Screenshot is also borked. Doesn't do anything when you click the button!  Cheesy

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:52 am »

Just had a thought regarding the installer. I just finished cloning the Linux drive to a larger, faster one. Thought I'd like to create 2 Vlocity installations, but there is no option to mark one from the other during the installation process. One would have to go in and modify the grub files to make that distinction.

True, we will workout more menaingful labels

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2013, 09:55:22 am »

That would be extremely useful. I just installed a shiny new 750GB drive which is dedicated to Linux. I'm planning on two copies of the VLocity beta. One will stay there so I can play online games, the other will be the testing distribution that can get torn up and replaced whenever there's a new update to be installed. Now I'm going to log out and install Fedora as I've always wanted to check that distro out. And with all this extra space I suddenly have, I don't have to decide what distro stays and which one goes. Cheesy

Edit -- I'd like to expand on this a bit.

I'm a distro junkie. I like playing around with different distributions and I'm beginning to notice a disturbing trend with the newer installers.

They're made for the noob in mind. And while this isn't a bad thing, it's driving me mad with the lack of advanced options for GRUB installation. I would LOVE to see an advanced option that not only allows me to edit menu items before creation, but also specify the location of the grub files. As it stands, each new distribution writes the GRUB configuration to its own install location, and if I want it changed back to say /dev/sdb1, I then have to log into that distribution and rerun the GRUB configuration and then install GRUB again. That's a friggin' pain in the backside.

Having an installer that provided this type of flexibility is something I crave every time I install or reinstall a new distribution. I think it would be a feather in our cap if we were the first to actually provide it.

Doable? Or am I dreaming of the impossible?

And where's B0.13?!!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:36:12 pm by retired1af » Logged

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »

Made an attempt to install beta 0.12 to my 64bit machine but ended in an error.
Install was in Advanced mode, using 1 partition as home the other as root.
See attached image

...edit...this error did not occur again when I did a fresh burn.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:55:22 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:50 am »

Made an attempt to install beta 0.12 to my 64bit machine but ended in an error.
Install was in Advanced mode, using 1 partition as home the other as root.
See attached image

Are you specifying a format to the two partitions?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »

I borked the Grub installation (another reason I'd like to be able to specify WHERE the files reside during an installation) and tossed the B0.12 disc in to boot into SOHO 7.  Two tries and received a kernel panic each time.  Was able to boot with the SOHO disc.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:04 am »

Installed B0.13 this morning. Still having issues with Network Manager. Instead of using VASM to input the router IP, I plugged the IP address into the Additional DNS entry in Network Manager. It seems to be working fine.

Don't know why Network Manager is being such a pain with this. All the other distros I've tried with NM has worked just fine without having to give anything more than the passphrase to connect. Weird.

I'll play around with the installation later today and report back with any findings. Smiley

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:03 am »

Ruh roh. Fired up gslapt and attempted to update the package lists. Got the error shown in the attachment.

Same error for /testing and /patches.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:14:20 am by retired1af » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:44 am »

VL64-7.1-STD-B0.2.iso
Desktop PC

Booting from USB stick ends switching to init 6

Booting from CD with gui ends again with a blank page with only panel active.

Will try tui booting next.

Booting from CD in tui.

Cannot find CD. Inserted USB stick, that was found and installation in tui
from stick went smooth.

Unfortunately when X opens neither keyboard nor mouse working, therefore no login. On console both work.

Out and Reboot with reset.

VL64-7.1-STD-B0.8.iso

No change from above quote.

Tried all settings in vxconf.  Copied a xorg. conf from a working slack-14 kernel 3.7. Nothing doing in X, mouse and KB not working.
Pita, can you check B0.13 a few of these should be fixed in it.
retired1af,
those repos are still empty. packages will be populated when we push out B1, and we will start populating the others shortly after that.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2013, 11:16:14 am »

retired1af,
those repos are still empty. packages will be populated when we push out B1, and we will start populating the others shortly after that.

Cheesy I guess that would explain the error!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: