VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 05:15:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: social networking  (Read 3407 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:18 pm »

I was thinking that since I have a computer with high speed internet, I may as well run my own webserver.  And I thought it would be a nifty idea to have a social networking site come from it in the vein of Facebook, but where any property I contributed would be in my control, rather than in the control of some big business enterprise.

So first I tried Friendica.  It uses MySQL and php.  However, no matter what I did, I could not get it working.  So, then I went to Diaspora.  It's got a more automatic install.  It relies on Ruby.  But, when trying to install it, script after script kept installing various other programs, called "gems" (apparently to go with the ruby stuff -- you know, gems and rubies?).  However, I was not picturing jewels while this onslaught was going on in my computer.  It felt like some plague was attacking my computer.  Some of these programs I already had installed, like ruby, so now I've got mirror installations in my local directory.  What a mess.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with Facebook for now.  The alternative at this point is proving to be too difficult to set up for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:52:17 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:27 pm »

You are using VL as your server?
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24:43 am »

You are using VL as your server?

Yes, VL is what I'm using.  I was just testing a Friendica installation with the localhost before proceeding (thus I'm not yet serving anything to the outside world.)  I used lighttpd and was trying to set up Friendica on the localhost to test.  I had some success with getting it served to the localhost and getting the database set up with mysql.  But while I reached the initial registration page, it (Friendica) would not let me actually register (presumably as admin) to complete the set up.  The install guide stated that likely something was wrong with the database, but when I checked it I found it was populated with the tables from the database.sql file that came with it.  So why it wouldn't proceed is a mystery.  Most of the information on the internet for Friendica is geared to Windows users for setting up on a remote host.  I may try Diaspora again -- I think I had a development release rather than a stable (aka production) release.  It's a challenge finding any information on installing these programs on Linux.  Friendica's "forums" are usually rambling Friendica sites or there's a group on Google Groups -- which unlike this forum is not divided into categories -- it's just one big mess.

Anyway, I only recently went on Facebook to appease some friends of mine.  It's okay, but it doesn't really interest me too much.  Years ago I was a part of StumbleUpon, back when I first started using Debian (Sarge at the time.)  Debian came with a StumbleUpon package -- it was an addon for Firefox.  StumbleUpon was quite interesting.  I left it though since I found it was too big a consumer of my time.  Facebook doesn't seem nearly as interesting to me.  Still, I was hoping to set up a similar compatible social networking thing on my computer.  But, running a program as big as Diaspora or Friendica would be a challenge and certainly not necessary.  I'll probably host a photo-album and a more modest website, and link to that when I'd like to notify Facebook friends of photos (I don't like the idea of giving ownership of my property or my thoughts to a big business entity like Facebook -- that's a control I'd still wish to retain for myself).  I had briefly joined Facebook a few years ago, but decided to delete the account.  However, I was mortified to find out that I could not delete the account, but could only deactivate it.  So, now that I've reactivated it, I'm proceeding with some caution.

It may make more sense for me to use a larger distribution like Debian or Arch, but I'm finding I like Vector and usually I can find what I need in either the Vector repositories or from something like slackfind.net (or using vpackager on source packages).

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:20:56 am »

Good comments Mark.  I will follow along and see where this goes.  Not easy being a pathfinder or, more accurately, pathmaker. 

I wonder why you don't use google+.   I am not very familiar with it, so I am not recommending it.   I suppose it also takes ownership of what you upload to it?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:45 am »

Hi Mark,

I am currently busy with some stuff, but as soon as I get some time, I will give friendica a try and report back to you. We can do some work also to get an easy lighttpd setup with php and Mysql (or Postgres.)
Diaspora had its momentum some months ago, as a distributed social network. Its written in the ruby language. Ruby uses a package manager for managing extensions. These extensions are called "gems". The package manager can handle dependencies, so thats what was going on whe you tried it. I dont think its dangerous for your system, we dont use ruby a lot (iirc only KDE uses it.) Ruby is very common in the web, pushed by its killer framework "Ruby on Rails".
Another option for you is "Pinax". It is written in Python, which happens to be my favorite. Its pretty easy to get a test running, beacuse it has its own development server (its a bit slow for "production") and it can run on Sqlite (a small filesystem based relational database).

HTH, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »

Thanks John. I don't know much about Google+, but it may be something to check out.  While I worry about stuff with Facebook regarding user's information being a commodity to be sold for big business, I think the reality (as is being borne out in the declining market value of Facebook) is that the value of such a mass of information really is not the great market research tool that some people initially assumed it was going to be.  So, I likely need not worry.  And Facebook can be a useful way to keep in touch with people I suppose.

Hi Rodrigo.  Yes, I like python.  I used to have a python wiki, Moin Moin, running on a web site that I ran years ago.  I'll have a look at Pinax.  It appears to be a web content management system, which might be handy (something I've never used before, but good to try new tools).

There's no great urgency on my part for friendica.  It was just something I was curious about, but if I wanted to, I could always join someone else's server.

Regarding the ruby stuff and my attempted diaspora install, I'm glad to hear that it's not dangerous for my system.  Still, a whack of stuff was installed on my system -- not via slapt-get but by these diaspora scripts -- and that kind of irritates me.  More clutter on my computer that I have no idea how to get rid of.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

Regarding the ruby stuff and my attempted diaspora install, I'm glad to hear that it's not dangerous for my system.  Still, a whack of stuff was installed on my system -- not via slapt-get but by these diaspora scripts -- and that kind of irritates me.  More clutter on my computer that I have no idea how to get rid of.

If you installed the gems as user, check ~/.gems and remove the offending .rb files.
For a system wide install check /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/<your ruby version>, the installed files are likely there.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »

I tried Pinax.  It installed okay, but I've hit a few snags in the "running a project" section of their instructions.  

Code:
(pinax)vector://media/Extra/pinax/mysite
mark:$ python manage.py syncdb
Error: No module named debug_toolbar

It reminds me of how I tried to get a zope site running years ago.  It took some effort.

Thanks for the advice regarding ruby files.  I'll look into that.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:10:01 am »

Thats weird, I got it running just fine.
I see you have virtualenv installed and running?
Be sure you installed pinax in the same environment you are running it.
What I did was:

* Install pip: easy_install pip
* Use pip for installing pinax: pip install Pinax
* Create a pinax project: pinax-admin setup_project pinax_test
* Cd into pinax_test and setup db: cd pinax_test; python manage.py syncdb
* Start the server: python manage.py runserver

Now I have pinax running on port 8000.
I also tested another pinax install, this time using the basic project as starting point:

* pinax-admin setup_project -b basic pinax_test2
* cd pinax_test2; python manage.py syncdb
* python manage.py runserver

That worked also. This, as the Ruby projects, installs some stuff as dependencies. One advantage is that by using virtual environments you dont touch system wide files, and everything is isolated in a directory that you can remove easily if needed.
If you are interested in this stuff, I would recommend you sticking with either Python (using Pinax, Django, Flask or even Google App Engine) or Ruby (using Ruby on Rails.) They are as good as it gets now for dynamic websites. They are relatvely easy to install and learn, and you can do something useful with little work.

Let us know how it works for you

--
Jumalauta!!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 08:20:10 am »

rbistolfi, thanks for the reply.  Something must be awry in my system since it worked on yours.  Or something I did must not have been correct.  When I have a moment, I'll look at it again.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:05:11 pm »

I tried it once again using your method, but no matter what it gives me the following error:

Code:
ImportError: No module named django.utils.importlib

Same error too for "python manage.py runserver".

See below for a full account of the second method you outlined for a basic setting:

Code:
vector://media/Extra
mark:$ pinax-admin setup_project -b basic pinax_test2
Created project pinax_test2
Installing project requirements...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pinax-admin", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('Pinax==0.9a2', 'console_scripts', 'pinax-admin')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/__init__.py", line 105, in execute_from_command_line
    runner.execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/__init__.py", line 94, in execute
    self.loader.load(command).run_from_argv(argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/base.py", line 45, in run_from_argv
    self.handle(*args, **options.__dict__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/commands/setup_project.py", line 66, in handle
    self.setup_project(args[0], options["base"], options)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/commands/setup_project.py", line 134, in setup_project
    installer.install_reqs(not options["allow_no_virtualenv"])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/core/management/commands/setup_project.py", line 207, in install_reqs
    pip.call_subprocess([
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'call_subprocess'
vector://media/Extra
mark:$ cd pinax_test2
vector://media/Extra/pinax_test2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "manage.py", line 11, in <module>
    import pinax.env
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pinax/env.py", line 4, in <module>
    from django.utils.importlib import import_module
ImportError: No module named django.utils.importlib