VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 11:55:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello to Vector-Linux  (Read 1567 times)
RickenB

« on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »

Hello All!
I have always been very impressed of Slackware. Many years ago i used Slackware and found it to bee keen to old computers.
Some how I found, I believe it was on the official forum of Slackware, i.e. LQ, a reference to Vector Linux. I gave it a first test by running the VL 7.0 gold live, and it impressed, so then I installed the VL SOHO 7 on my old Dell Latitude D-600 from 2003. I must say it runs smoother than windows 2000 did at those days... Smiley Most Impressive! -But I am still a little concerned about accessing my USB-external, hard disks (NTFS file systems), which worked well with VL 7.0 live, and in Slackware, but not in VL7.0 SHO.

I guess that will be sorted out in the future. My preferred key map, sv-latin1, was even not possible with the graphical installer Huh, I solved it by adding it to /etc/profile.
I'll might participate on IRC in the future. I have big hopes for VL.

CU.

-Computer-
Processor      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
Memory      : 2066MB (671MB used)
Operating System      : Slackware 13.37.0
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:34 pm »

Hello and most of your concerns will be handled by our knowledgable community.
Slack On

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:57:58 am »

Howdy and welcome. I ran into something you describe but in my Semplice Linux install. I fixed it by copying over a working /etc/fstab over to Semplice /etc/fstab.

which worked well with VL 7.0 live

Maybe just copy over the working one to your install. But I am guessing here in case we are talking about udev instead.
I am not sure if you are talking about hot plugging in external drive or have it being already plugged in before booting up.

I also made manual entries for folders in /media as sda1, sdb2,sdd1. Just whatever I needed for external drive names in /media.

Happy Trails, Rok

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: