VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 11:27:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] fax program with selective auto answer?  (Read 1520 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: January 14, 2013, 11:25:44 am »

Hello.  Is there a fax program that will automatically answer a fax call but ignore other regular calls?  IE, A fax program that can recognize the sound of a fax call and automatically answer it while ignoring other calls?

I have an internal 56K modem which works, and I use it for faxing.  I currently have efax installed, and I use a frontend called efax-gtk (I got the frontend from slackfind.net).  I checked it out, but I don't think it has this capability.  So is there another program that does?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:36:09 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:43 am »

Actually, in retrospect, it occurs to me that what I'm asking for simply isn't possible. 

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »

Glad you figured it out.    Grin  Now, what you COULD do is get a second phone line and dedicate it as a fax line. For the odd voice call that comes through on it, the software should be able to record the message for you.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:52:12 pm »

What I'll probably do is get another number with a distinctive ring added to my current line ("Identi-Call"), which is a bit less expensive than getting another separate line.  I do have a gizmo called "the Ring Selector" that could screen out non-fax calls to the line that goes to the modem, provided I have Identi-Call.  Still, I was hoping to not have to add another monthly charge to my expenses.  Ah well.  I did get rid of voice mail when I found an old cassette-tape answering machine in a used electronics shop.  Works great.  But I don't see a way around this issue, except for just having one number and telling people to call me first before faxing (which, actually, may be fine).

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:56 am »

I used to use a multifunction fax machine that would answer fax or phone, save or print fax or save voice message. it also printed and copied. it did not notify if I were on line with the computer the party got a busy signal. however a power surge during a storm killed it. I do see them in junk shops though and may be an option to consider.

Everything Is Relative
jessejazza

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

Hello.  Is there a fax program that will automatically answer a fax call but ignore other regular calls?

I thought efax did that but i may have misunderstood your 'ignore other regular calls - it certainly distinguishes phone from fax? I've used efax for several years but only to send - saves the PC having to be on all the time to receive. I receive on an efax number although one can use any of those services. You are using efax-gtk as the front end - i found it easier to forget about (as the author seems to do several releases per year and they don't always work) and just use efax itself with selected options. Also need to explicitly select modem class and flow control to get a perfect fax. I'll post my test file if you're interested.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:06:22 pm »

After answering a call, efax can distinguish between a fax and a voice call.  What I meant was before answering.  In this case, I believe the only way to distinguish a fax from a regular voice call is to have two distinct rings or lines, with one designated as a fax and one designated as a voice line.  If I'm incorrect, please do enlighten me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: