Here' s the process that worked for me :
1. Find the kernel version you're using: command "uname -a
2. Download the corresponding stripped-src, package:
3. Check here : http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/kernels/
for the package.
4. Install the stripped-src package with the installpkg command.
5. Identify your graphics card with command lspci in a terminal.
6. check the Nvidia website http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
for your matching needed driver and download and save to your favorite directory.
7. open a terminal and as # type vxconf ; then choose VESA. : then type init 2.
8. now enter cd and go to the directory where you saved the nvidia driver that was downloaded.
9. change to root # and enter command : sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-variable depending on your specific driver
10. Follow the nvidia prompts.
11. when finished with prompts as # type init 5.
12. Adjustments can be made from menu : Settings > NVIDIA X Server Settings.