VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 03:42:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation Partitioning Glitch Workaround  (Read 592 times)
dag

« on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »

I ran into an installation problem concerning a partitioning scheme I was using, and thought I'd post the simple, manual hack I came up with to side-step the issue.  Maybe this will help someone with a similar circumstance.

I was installing to a hard drive with a GUID Partition Table.  Below is my initial approach, which may seem overkill, but I like to make sure I have plenty of free space first, and then adjust everything afterward based upon installation.  Also, it's been many years since I've used Linux, so I didn't know what to expect as of late. The mount points are relative to a BSD-type setup.

# Mount Point | Device | File System Type | Size | Partition

/                       sda5       ext4                        1G      Primary
   none                sda6       swap                       4G      Primary
   /var                  sda7       ext4                        1G      Primary
   /tmp                 sda8       ext4                        1G      Primary
   /usr                  sda9       ext4                        20G    Primary
   /home             sda10     ext4                        30G    Primary

Basically, the problem was, the installation crapped at the end with a "[45] MdlMain.?.0" error.  After a brief inspection, I realized that the '/' partition had run out of space.  That occurred because the installer had only mounted '/' and '/home'. As a result, everything got unpacked into the '/' partition.  Is a '/', 'swap', and '/home' the encouraged scheme, or did the installer get confused about the 6 primary partitions?  I'm not sure, but here's how I tackled it:

# The following is based upon the scheme illustrated above.

1.  Boot into the installation.

2.  When you arrive at the partitioning screen, select "Help Me Resize My Partitions".

3.  Using Gparted, create the '/', 'swap', '/var', '/tmp', '/usr', and '/home' partitions, but do not label them as such; size and format them only.  We will label them in Step 5.

4.  Apply the scheme, exit Gparted, and reboot.*

[ * There may be a method to make the installation immediately aware of the new partitions, but I didn't investigate it too deeply.  I only know that, after proceeding with installation from that point, it didn't recognize them. ]

5. After rebooting and presented with the same partitioning screen, choose to install to existing partitions.

6. Select and label your partitions, but leave them as "not formatted".  It is vital that you do not format them here, as all your work in the next few steps will be all for naught.  Besides, they were all ready formatted in the previous boot.

7. Proceed with the installation until you are prompted with your "last chance" to abort before Vector Linux is installed.  At that stage, hover your mouse over the bottom of the screen to unhide the Jwm task bar, and bring up an Xterm.  From the command line, perform the following:

#  ------------------------------------------------------------
#  Workaround

# (a) Mount the '/' partition

mount -t ext4 /dev/sda5 /mnt/target

# (b) Create the '/var', '/tmp', and '/usr' directories
# on your '/' partition.

mkdir /mnt/target/var
         mkdir /mnt/target/tmp
         mkdir /mnt/target/usr

# (c) Mount the '/var', '/tmp', and '/usr' partitions.

mount -t ext4 /dev/sda7 /mnt/target/var
         mount -t ext4 /dev/sda8 /mnt/target/tmp
         mount -t ext4 /dev/sda9 /mnt/target/usr

8. Minimize the Xterm and proceed with the installation.  At any time, you can return to your Xterm, and issue a 'df' command to verify that the proper partitions are being populated.

Hope this will be of use to someone...

~ dag ~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: