VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:37:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vobcopy  (Read 878 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: December 03, 2012, 02:17:54 am »

I did not see vobcopy available

what I like about this command line program is that if I open a terminal in a folder or in a terminal cd to a folder I can type " vobcopy -l " (less "') and it will rip a dvd to a single vob file there. it is more powerfull but that was my frequent usage.

downloaded from freecode and installed in terminal with make make install

cheers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:42:58 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »

Overthere,
I have built vobcopy, could you give me an idea how to test it.
I did a vobcopy /dev/sr0 at the command line, and it does start copying
my dvd but stops after 10minutes of the 90 minute video.
I think it getting the Intro bit but not the biggest bit, the actual movie itself.

When I try vobcopy -M /dev/sr0.  I get a segment fault.

Code:
vobcopy -M /dev/sr0
Vobcopy 1.2.0 - GPL Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009 robos@muon.de
[Hint] All lines starting with "libdvdread:" are not from vobcopy but from the libdvdread-library

[Info] Path to dvd: /dev/sr0
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
[Info] Name of the dvd: EDWARD
Segmentation fault

Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:24 pm »

vobcopy -l

if you have a dvd in the drive and open a terminal in a folder of choice simply type" vobcopy -l " that will create a single .vob of the movie in the folder. I just installed to 7 light and this worked fine although on this old laptop it consumed the cpu and other tasks were limit to checking the time.

here are the options

Code:
Options include
 (for the full list see vobcopy -h or the man vobcopy):
-n copy the title-vob you specify behind -n (vobcopy -n 2 will copy title-vob 2)
-b size[bkmg] begins to copy from the specified offset-size. Modifiers like b for 512-bytes, k for kilo-bytes, m for mega- and g for giga-bytes can be appended to the number. Example: vobcopy -b 500m will start to copy from 500MB onward till the end.
-e size[bkmg]: similar to -b, this options lets you specify some size to stop before the end.
-l rosenauer wrote some code to support large file output. The data is then written to one large file (presumably greater than 2GB)
-f to force output even if vobcopy thinks there is not enough free space in the output directory
-i to provide the path to the mounted dvd (i.e. the mount point, something like /dvd or /cdrom) if vobcopy fails to detect it correctly
-o option to specify a directory where the data will be copied to
behind -1, -2, -3 and -4 can be named additional directories where the output will continue if the previous dir gets full. So no need to clean up the whole directory or even move files around!
-t name|stdout you can either change the name of the output-file away from what the dvd says (-t hi  will write hi1-1.vob,hi1-2.vob etc. If you want to have a name with spaces, do it like this: -t "my movie" ) or you can write the output to stdout to be piped to some other program (for example: -t stdout)
-O single_file(s)_name(s) will copy only the files you specify (comma separated list).Example: vobcopy -O video_ts.vob,video_ts.bup
-I (Info) gives you some Infos about the dvd data and the output directory.
-v be more verbose in its output (in other words vobcopy will spam your console ;-)
-v -v print a log-file (with the standard output in it) to /tmp/ (the log should be sent to me in case of a bugreport)
check in advance if on the drive the stuff has to be copied to is enough space free
check size of the combined vobs on dvd against what has been copied (did it copy everything ok?)
check the provided command line options whether they are what we need and not wrong type

another use for the program is to extract songs (sections) from concert dvd but have not done this in a while
cheers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:40:21 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01:06 pm »

overthere,
vobcopy is in testing. Worked ok, for me coping 95% of dvd before  locking up I'm sure because of scratches in the dvd.
Did not have time to get a good dvd and test. Just got it into testing before I had to leave town.
Let me know how it goes for you.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:47:31 am »

Yes, Thanks for that..Works for me

I installed to vl7light on a desktop without issue.
Opening a terminal in a folder I used "vobcopy-l " (or small L if the font leaves any one wondering)
this created a single vob complete with credits. played in  xine.

in mplayer I had subtitles and vlc no sound ,will have to try some more later, xine worked fine for me.

cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: