VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 03:51:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bleachbit options  (Read 536 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:01 am »

Hi
Installed bleachbit. ran as user and root and it messed up lilo.

all I got at boot was a screen full of 99 99 99 99. I reinstalled lilo with the install cd and all appears normal both os boot and the system appears fine so far.

I frequently used ccleaner on windows and thought the system like windows was likely collecting a lot of junk, installing and uninstalling and such and the temp folder was full of stuff.

wondering what option would mess up the boot loader

is there a better cleaner that gets all the trash and does not trash the system. manually I only know of the temp folder but not how to get all the broken links,log files, recent used, etc.

thanks for any
cheers

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »

I doubt bleachbit did that.  To do that it must have wiped the first 512 sectors of your hard drive.  I dont know any other application (other than bootloaders) that access this area of the drive.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »

Thanks..perhaps something else caused it then, not sure what. I will add bleachbit to the desktop and play with it, I had all the options checked except memory  and thought free disk space or ds store may have been a bad choice as I have no idea what .ds_store does.
cheers

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »

You should look to see if it logs activity anywhere and take a look to see what its been doing.  Like I said, the bootloader normally lives in the first 512 (called MBR) sectors of the drive or partition (called bootsector).  In rare ocasions the bootloader is written to a binary file within the filesystem but this requires a significant diviation from the standard procedures and is normally done manually. 

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

Yes, in this case I did a dual boot with win xp and chose mbr as a location for lilo. I do not recall adding anything since the last boot which was fine. so blamed it on bleachbit but perhaps something else going on...will have a look for logs, thanks. think the ds_store is a mac thing and pops up when adding apples to win and linux  networks so do not need that checked at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:13:32 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: