VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: bleachbit options  (Read 929 times)

overthere

• Vectorian
bleachbit options
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:01 am »

Hi
Installed bleachbit. ran as user and root and it messed up lilo.

all I got at boot was a screen full of 99 99 99 99. I reinstalled lilo with the install cd and all appears normal both os boot and the system appears fine so far.

I frequently used ccleaner on windows and thought the system like windows was likely collecting a lot of junk, installing and uninstalling and such and the temp folder was full of stuff.

wondering what option would mess up the boot loader

is there a better cleaner that gets all the trash and does not trash the system. manually I only know of the temp folder but not how to get all the broken links,log files, recent used, etc.

thanks for any
cheers
Everything Is Relative

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: bleachbit options
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »

I doubt bleachbit did that.  To do that it must have wiped the first 512 sectors of your hard drive.  I dont know any other application (other than bootloaders) that access this area of the drive.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »

Thanks..perhaps something else caused it then, not sure what. I will add bleachbit to the desktop and play with it, I had all the options checked except memory  and thought free disk space or ds store may have been a bad choice as I have no idea what .ds_store does.
cheers
Everything Is Relative

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »

You should look to see if it logs activity anywhere and take a look to see what its been doing.  Like I said, the bootloader normally lives in the first 512 (called MBR) sectors of the drive or partition (called bootsector).  In rare ocasions the bootloader is written to a binary file within the filesystem but this requires a significant diviation from the standard procedures and is normally done manually. 

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

Yes, in this case I did a dual boot with win xp and chose mbr as a location for lilo. I do not recall adding anything since the last boot which was fine. so blamed it on bleachbit but perhaps something else going on...will have a look for logs, thanks. think the ds_store is a mac thing and pops up when adding apples to win and linux  networks so do not need that checked at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:13:32 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative